OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 9 April 2019 uploaded

Submitter's message
1. Eliot will look at question of whether we need to have SVG zip file in techcomm grammar folder
2. Kris and Tom will discuss creating a more substantive summary of example files

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 2 April 2019
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:

Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Bill Burns, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Hancy Harrison, Alan Houser, Scott Hudson, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Tom Magliery, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Joyce Lamb, Jim Tivy

1. Roll call
Regrets: Stan Doherty

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
02 April 2019
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201904/msg00007.html (Harrison, 03 April 2019)
Includes correction https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201904/msg00011.html (Harrison, 09 April 2019)
moved by Kris, 2nd by Tom, approved by TC

3. Announcements:
New TC members:

4. Action items
21 August 2018
Kris & Robert: Perform the best edit of multimedia topics that they can do in time available; due 23 April
11 September 2018
Kris: Review conversation with Joe Pairman, e-mails about metadata, and TC discussion in late 2017/early 2018; summarize to TC: due 09 April Overdue
13 November 2018
Eliot: Test refactoring of grammar files; due 07 Mary
Spec editors: Finish incorporating changes from DITAweb review; due 09 April Overdue
18 December 2018
Eliot: Investigate issue re earningAggregationsTopicrefConstraintMod.xsd; due 07 May
29 January 2019:
Carlos: Set up regularly scheduled calls between DITA 2.0 and LwDITA spec editors; due 26 April
19 February 2019
Alan and Tom: Have functional stylesheets for DITA spec (PDF and XHTML) by DITA NA conference
- Kris; we should move this off AI list, to stylesheets agenda item.
- Tom; works for me, good idea.
- Alan; some of what we've done so far was under the hood...
[see discussion under stylesheet agenda item #6]
05 March 2019:
Alan: Update DITA 2.0 files for appropriate elements with LwD hint values for @format and create a pull request; due 23 April
Carlos & Alan: Select three element reference topics that exist in both LwDITA and DITA 2.0 for LWDITA and DITA editors to work on; due 09 April
- Kris; this is overdue
- Alan; better move to after DITA/NA
19 March 2019:
Michael Priestley: Propose methodology/syntax for mapping DITA class and outputclass attributes to HTML class attribute -- Need deadline
- Kris; have you heard from Michael?
- Carlos; texted him, haven't gotten anything back.
02 April 2019
Nancy: Create prototype of grammar files for DITA 2.0 techcomm package (COMPLETED)
Kris: Post to list with info about DITA TC gatherings at CMS/DITA NA 2019 conferencece (COMPLETED)
Kris: Contact CIDM about Wednesday afternoon DITA 2.0 event (COMPLETED)
Kris: Will create minimal slide deck about DITA 2.0 for the Wednesday PM event
Tom: Create a summary of examples in DITA 1.3 arch spec (COMPLETED)
All voting TC members: Look through 1.3 normative statements listed in C. Nitchie's e-mail: What's missing? What's duplicative? What's nonsensical? How should we mark them up so we can get a clean extraction to build a (non-normative by definition) appendix?

5. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines
- Robert; will really try to get to these this week
- Kris; shift dates to 14 april; for everyone, come up with deadline; I will pester people after conference...

6. Stylesheets
OASIS has agreed to build actual style specifications, with our help
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201903/msg00012.html (Eberlein, 04 March 2019)
Updates on committee note:
Now runs on DITA-OT 3.3 (both PDF and HTML5)
Update on spec:
Now runs on DITA-OT 3.3
OASIS is willing to minimize differences between specifications and committee notes
Latest: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201904/msg00004.html (Paul Knight, 02 April 2019)
- Kris; still working on this; see Paul's email about their issues in making progress.

7. Content of the Technical Content package for DITA 2.0
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201904/msg00000.html (Harrison, 02 April 2019)
More info from Harrison
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201904/msg00002.html (Harrison on 28 March, forwarded by Eberlein on 02 April 2019)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201904/msg00003.html (Harrison on 28 March, forwarded by Eberlein on 02 April 2019)
New item
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201904/msg00010.html (Harrison, 08 April 2019)
Kris; let's go over the issues brought up in the last email.
Nancy gave overview;
1. classifyMap grammar file is in techcomm but not base;
- Kris; background is for 1.2, we shipped subjectscheme-related files only in base, and as a result, users without techcomm package didn't know why they didn't have access to glossref (part of techcomm), so for 1.3 we put classifyMap in techcomm pkg.
- Eliot; that aligns with my [dim] memory of the decision.
- Robert; mine as well; we decided that since classifyMap included glossref, it should be treated as a techcomm map.
- Nancy; so it sounds as if it should be removed from the subjectscheme folder, and just put directly into the 'techcomm/[dtd|rng|schema]' folders, with a dependency on subjectscheme in base?
- Robert; yes
- Kris; these issues bring up questions both about what is the topoology of the grammar files, and what actual domains should we include in the shells we distribute.

2. structure for grammar files
- Kris; comments on this?
- Robert; I'd like to keep techcomm grammar files in same github directory as base; we want people who install techcomm to get everything they need.
- Kris; except, this may not work with OASIS packaging; when we release DITA 2.0, we'd only release grammar files for base; we'd thought that for techcomm 2.0, we'd only release techcomm grammar files.
- Robert; I hope that's not the case; it would make it impossible for folks to use it unless they're experts. I see base DITA as a dependency, like SVG and MathML, where we package the external files along with our own grammar files.
- Kris; do we want to query OASIS about thta, or simply say this is what we want to do, and go ahead and do it for 2.0? I don't know about all of this; hard part is the part about separating the base from techcomm specs. These questions were asked a couple of years ago, of the techcomm SC, and the SC never answered them. The answers for the grammar files are obvious, the spec is harder. I suspect we need to separate specs; have techcomm contain only techcomm, and have it point to base 2.0.
- Nancy; that sounds reasonable to me.
- Scott; so do we treat techcomm like a submodule, or a fork, in github terms, of base dita? The reason for splittig them is that there could be a hotfix or errata to techcomm that doesn't affect the base.
- Nancy; and alternatively, could there be changes to base that techcomm would be able to use?
- Kris; there's no arch spec piece in the techcomm spec; it's only language ref.
[discussion on hazardstatement; it turns out it does need to be used for things like marketing, for drug marketing hazard statements, so it needs to stay in base]
- Alan; there's lots of history, but most folks use techcontent package.
- Kris; but a lot of users just use base; with most of my clients, I start with basetopic.
- Eliot; in publishing domain, techcontent is never used
Nancy; what about the SVG zip file in the techcomm folder?
- Eliot; I did that
- Nancy; can you look at it.
***ActionItem: Eliot will look at question of whether we need to have SVG zip file in techcomm grammar folder
- Kris; we're free to change directory structure in 2.0, but we should be aware if we're going to break paths in users' grammar files; we can do it, but we need to be aware of when we're adding work to migration, and we have to give guidance on how to migrate. And some tools don't use catalog resolution, because of dependencies on other tools, so paths aren't resolvable.

8. Notes from the meeting to review examples Stan proposed during the DITAweb review"
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201903/msg00040.html (Magliery, 26 March 2019)
Points for TC consideration:
Guidelines for examples in element-reference topics
Guidelines for examples in (currently) archSpec topic
Action item: Harvest recommendations for specific DITA 2.0 topics and add them to list
New item
Examples in "archSpec" topics from DITA 1.3 spec
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201904/msg00008.html (Magliery, o4 April 2019)
- Kris; one AI from last week was Tom's.
- Tom; I noticed that examples in these topics are mixture of code xample with intro sentence and other much longer prose descriptions; if I were to do soething diff, I'd extract just example elements rather than topics.
- Kris; there are 2 types of examples in arch spec topics;
1. simple case; a single topic about a subject, and a single example at end.
2. for more complex subjects and long topic or topics about subject, then an example topic with examples.
- Tom; in longer topic clusters, that's where I saw a whole topic that was basically only an example, with just a line or two of text.
- Kris; actually, I think it's the other way around.
- Tom; type 2 is e.g., with keys, or subjectScheme. I don't know what we're going to do with this info. Would there be a diff doc than the one I created that would be more useful?
- Kris; let's talk about this.
***ActionItem; Kris and Tom will discuss creating a more substantive summary of example files

9. Continuing item: What to do about all the LwDITA threads on the agenda?
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201903/msg00034.html (Eberlein, 26 March 2019)
Need volunteer not involved in the thread to review e-mails and minutes, create Wiki page to track. The "archived threads" are #14-18 on the agenda archived at https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Agenda-19-March-2019
[Nancy volunteered for after easter]
- Alan; on the agenda. how is this different from all of the DITA threads?
- Kris; this is related to how we resolve all the items down the road.

10. Continuing item: CMS/DITA NA 2019
Dinner Sunday after reception in an informal setting
Brainstorm about how we could use a table in the vendor area most effectively
Lunch before Wednesday DITA 2.0 panel
- Kris; lunch will be provided by adobe
- Dawn; for Weds. afternoon, I'll be moderator; will put together some seeder questions to get started, distribute to everone so you can see them.
- Kris; I've volunteered to put together a very slim slide deck on 2.0
Wiki page
- Alan; a wiki page and an OASIS info sign-up; wildly different time slots...
- Kris; I see you're right; Stan set this up; you could look at schedule and think about a time you want to vounteer and just change the table.
- Tom; Stan suggested that he just took all non-session times; i agree folks should just change table to something they can do.
- Dawn; right; it's all non-session times
***ActionItem: Kris will modify table to show whether times are breaks, lunch;
***ActionItem: all; modify times as appropriate.
- Dawn; also, just keep an eye on table and if you see someone there, go over and talk to them.
- Kris; one thing we want ontable is sign; if you work of one of following companies, you're eigible to be on tC; we need a list of companies tha will be
***ActionItem: Dawn will get Kris a list of companies represented at conference.
- Carlos; talked about a LwD book givaway raffle?
- Kris; I'll try to find a fishbowl

Kris; anything else?? meeting next week cancelled because of DITA/NA

12 noon ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 9 April 2019

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2019-04-23 16:47:45

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]