Subject: Re: [dita] Starting thoughts on a migration document

Let's think about audiences for this document. Below is a very rough start, done off the-top-of-my-head ...

  • DITA practitioners who will be updating an implementation's document-type shells. These folks will need to:
    • Look at bookmap
    • Be aware if we remove domains from shells that integrated them for earlier versions of DITA
  • DITA practitioners who will be updating specializations and constraint modules for an implementation. These folks will care about:
    • Deprecated elements and attributes that were part of their specialization or constraint modules, but are removed from DITA 2.0
    • Elements for which we changed the specialization base
  • DITA practitioners who will be updating implementations' stylesheets. These folks will care about:
    • Elements for which we changed the specialization base
    • New elements and domains
  • DITA architects who are in charge of an implementations' DITA source. These folks will care about:
    • Deprecated elements and attributes that were part of their specialization or constraint modules, but are removed from DITA 2.0
  • DITA tools that produce a rendered view of the DITA source (editors, CCMS)
    • New or modified elements will need to be styled using CSS, XSLT, or a combination of CSS and XSLT
  • DITA tools that process DITA source to produce output formats
    • Need to add features to address use cases previously handled by @copy-to

A question -- Do we restrict this document to migration, or do also cover new to DITA 2.0 elements, attributes, and functionality that tools/processors/etc will need to make changes to support?

My list above combines the two; stuff specifically relating to "new to DITA 2.0 elements, attributes, and functionality" highlighted in blue.

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)