Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 24 March 2020 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItem:
1. Kris will move 'nice to have' items to list of proposal deadlines.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 24 March 2020
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Nancy Harrison, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Robert Anderson, Frank Wegmann

Business
========

1. Roll call
Regrets: Gershon Joseph

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202003/msg00039.html (Harrison, 22 March 2020)
Kris moved, 2nd by Deb, approved by TC

3. Announcements
none

4. Action items
[updates only; see agenda for complete list]
- Kris; I'll try to do some of mine this week.
- Nancy; I'll work on mine.

5. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DeadlinesDITA2.0
[updates only here]
Stage two
(Nitchie) Add titlealts elements to map (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/16)
(./) 16 February 2019: New stage two proposal to reviews (Anderson, Eberlein, Frank Wegmann)
28 February 2020: Reviewers provide feedback to Nitchie --Completed by Frank Wegmann
23 March 2020 06 March 2020: Eberlein and Anderson to provide feedback
- still not reviewed by Kris and Robert
- Robert; I'll get mine done by end of this week, Rri. 3/27
- Kris; I'll do the same.

(Evia) Column/row spanning in simpletable (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/292)
?: Proposal to reviewers (Carsten, Anderson)
- Kris; can this be ready a week from today, 3/31?
- Carlos; yes

(Schengili-Roberts) Strong and em elements (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/107)
27 January 2020 25 February 2020: Proposal to reviewers (Doherty, Evia)
[see agenda item #8]

- Kris; also, I need to add proposals to this list, from the 'nice to have' set of 2.0 proposals.
***ActionItem: Kris will move 'nice to have' items to this list

6. Continuing item: Prep work for developing a strawman schedule for DITA 2.0
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202002/msg00006.html (Eberlein, 04 February 2020
Summary of DITA 2.0 triage
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202003/msg00018.html (Eberlein, 10 March 2020)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202003/msg00032.html (Eberlein, 17 March 2020)
OASIS process for spec approval
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202003/msg00033.html (Eberlein, 17 March 2020)
On hold until Kris has drafted expanded schedule
- Kris; I'll update this for next week, with additions based on current level of completion.

7. DITA 2.0 stage one proposals
Early feedback
None

8. DITA 2.0 stage two proposals
Vote
Remove fastpath
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202003/msg00017.html (Schengili-Roberts, 10 March 2020
moved by Keith, 2nd by eliot
Voting results:
yes 10 (Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Nancy Harrison, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts)
no 0
- Kris; I will implement it this week

Early feedback
Revised multimedia domain
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202003/msg00036.html (Evia, 19 March 2020)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202003/msg00038.html (Nitchie, 19 March 2020)
- Carlos; this had gotten kind of lost; Chris had a proposal that was compatible with 1.3, and instead of making everything compatible with HTML5, it made its own elements. After going over it, I came back with long list of elements and longer list of @s. I have 2 issues to bring up.
1. Should we have this as a separate domain, or built into base DITA?
2. if we want to make this more HTML5-like, there are more items that HTML5 has that aren't in the original proposal. So what do we want?
- Chris; the multimedia elements in HTML5 aren't in DITA 1.3. I think it makes sense to add them to base DITA to make it more compat with HTML.
- Kris; I remember having discussed that in the TC, and us agreeing.
- Carlos; so, do we need the fallback element in the domainc since you can put stuff directly inside video or audio?
- Chris; if we're looking for strict compatibility with HTML, we don't need fallback. But we decided to add it based on the fact that DITA already has a fallback element, and it seems like a cleaner pattern than the way HTML does it. OTOH, doing it that way means it would not be strictly compatible. I could go either way.
- Kris; I wonder if, in order to be able to use Chris's work for 1.3 to simplfy the work on this proposal, the best way to move forward is to implement audio and video as base elements, and have the children as they were in your proposal.
- Carlos; in other words, use the elements and @s as they were in the 1.3 compatible version? My concern is that, if we use fallback, it won't map to anything in MDITA or HDITA if we want to use it like a pure HTML table.
- Robert; does it have to, if HTNL has the content, and we have a mapping?
- Carlos; but then we'd need to add fallback to LwD, wouldn't we?
- Robert; but if we're adding audio, video, and fallback, and taking out audio, video and 8 diff old elements. I think it's a good trade-off.
- Kris; in the name of completing proposals within deadlines, I'd like to take advantage of our earlier TC discussions, and Chris's work, and use his proposal as the base for this.
- Chris; the original proposal was modeled on HTML. so it shoud be a straightforward mapping to HTML to do this.
- Carlos; I know; I've been using your proposal and going from that.
- Kris; and we did talk about making this domain available to people who want a 1.3 compatible domain.
- Nancy; so will we leave fallback in or take it out?
- Kris; I'm hearing we'll add video & audio, leave fallback in, and change elements to @s.
- Carlos; Also, Chris had description as an element, that needs to be an @, as well as a few others. And fallback will be wrapped inside a p inside video or audio.
- Kris; and if you want a co-author, I'm happy to do that.
- Carlos; thanks.
- Kris; I did editorial work on the earlier domain, and resolved a bunch of issues, so I'm familiar with it.

Hardware domain
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202003/msg00025.html (Lawson, 17 March 2020)
- Kris; we left it last week with the open question of 'do we have enough resident expertise to add good hardware elements, given that we don't feel we have the expertise to maintain the machinery task specialization?'
- Keith; I take the point, but I think if someone is willing to do the necessary research within the time frame, it would be good to do this. I've been doing some research into continuous and discrete control systems. The two terms are definitely referenced in academic and engineering literature, and many types of controls fall into those categories. And the original and continuing point is that these kinds of controls really don't fit with uicontrol; e.g., throttles, accelerators, steering wheel systems, flaps on airplanes, etc. So it seems to be accepted, that continuous and discrete are used to discribe the major types of hardware controls, and I believe they would be adaptable. I don't think we need to do anything else.
- Kris; another avenue for research is our dita-users group; do our users have need for more than a simple hardware control element?
- Stan; I do work with IEEE and ACM; they have a lot of info. And we're getting together a DITA users group from medical device area; I can help with this, though I can't drive it.
- Keith; and I can post to dita-users to come up with examples and use cases.
- Stan; Also, there are examples of hardware controls in the B-25 aircraft manual, and SD1000 also has some hardware stuff.
- Zoe; I need to step back a bit on this.
- Kris; And Covid 19 will disrupt everything, probably including our 2.0 schedule. Zoe, you represent the case for exactly one single hardware element, and in my work with medical devices, they also needed only one.
- Nancy; Scott will also want to be involved; on the TC, he has the most experience with this kind of content.
[to be continued]

9. A Systematic Way to Describe Non-Computer Controls (Relating to "Hardware Control Domain")
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202002/msg00010.html (Schengili-Roberts, 05 February 2020)
[see above agenda item #8]

10. DITA 2.0 stage three proposals
Vote
None
Initial discussion
None
Early feedback
Response to Comments on "Feature #107 Add strong and em elements, and redefine b and i in a more semantic manner"
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202003/msg00041.html (Schengili-Roberts, 23 March 2020)
- Keith; I had responses from Eliot, Carlos, Stan, (and Scott but he had no changes).
- Kris; and my response?
- Keith; I didn't see yours, Kris. I went thru the comments I saw and made requestsed changes for almost all of them. It was a bit tricky for Carlos's change; not wanting to use the term 'element', so I re-phrased things so it only appears to old code, and it doesn't go into 2.0 descriptions. The one suggestion I didn't implement was Stan's about using em for lead-in heads; I don't think it's necessary to spell out every situation. I'll look at Kris's response, and will make her changes in time for next TC call.
[Kris lost power and dropped off call]
- Nancy; shall we wait till we can look at Keith's implementation of Kris's comments before we set up a vote?
- Robert; yes, I know she had some changes she thought were necessary.
[to be continued next week]

11:38 am ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 24 March 2020

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison