Subject: Re: [dita-users] Any Interest in a Hardware Domain for Non-computer Buttons/Controls? #DITAv2-0

Folks, let me focus the discussion a little more clearly.

The DITA TC is looking to introduce a domain for hardware controls into DITA 2.0. The question is really how extensive it should be. Would a single element (let's call it <hw-control>) suffice, or do we need more? For example, a discrete control (on/off; 1/2/3/4/5 on a gear shift) or a continuous control (volume control for a radio.)

What we need from you is the following information:

In other words, please give us more data than "Yes, I'd find it useful." Why would you find a hardware control domain useful? What are your business requirements?

There is good academic data on hardware controls, which Keith Schengili-Roberts looked at and led to the DITA TC knowledge about discrete and continuous controls. However, we want information and requirements from the user community. That's you :)

OASIS Distinguished Contributor
www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)

From: main@dita-users.groups.io <main@dita-users.groups.io> On Behalf Of keith@ditawriter.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 10:51 AM
To: main@dita-users.groups.io

Hello there:

An idea that is being floated for DITA 2.0 is the introduction of a new hardware domain to provide markup for things like the following:
- keyboard combinations like "Ctrl + Alt + Delete"
- a part number element to mark up part numbers
- a way to mark up non-computer controls, covering things like levers, peddles, switches having multiple selections, etc.
In general, the idea is to provide semantic alternatives for the arguably overused uicontrol element in situations that are not necessarily software related (say, for a control lever on a device, an accelerator or gear-shift for a car (which are forms of discrete controls), or a tuner knob on a radio (which is a continuous control)).

I was asked by the DITA TC to ask the members of this forum their thoughts on this idea in general, and whether people would use this markup if it was available.

If this is of interest, please respond! Whether or not we do this is dependant on the responses we get.

Cheers!

Keith Schengili-Roberts
DITAWriter.com
Chair of OASIS DITA Adoption