Subject: @type, <keydef>, and multimedia elements

This cropped up in Chris Nitchie's review of the stage three proposal for adding multimedia elements to the base:

"@type is similarly tricky when keys are involved. TheÂ@type on a media element is explicitly a MIME type. That's not necessarily the case forÂ@type on topicref/keydef; the definition ofÂ@type there is more loosely defined. I hesitate to say we should have language about how to interpret keydefÂ@types in the context of media elements because it's going to be nightmarishly complex and anything we say will probably be incomplete. But it's something I though of. (As an implementor, I'd run any non-MIME-typeÂ@type through whatever library I was using to interpret filename extensions, but I'm not sure how to say that in Standardese.)"

OASIS Distinguished Contributor
www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)