Subject: Fwd: Re: [dita] Updated stage 3 proposal for diagnostics

Forwarding to the list. We are set to vote on this today; do we need to wait on that? Dawn, your intent vis-a-vis the content model?

OASIS Distinguished Contributor
www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 08:56:20 +0000
From: Gershon Joseph <gershon@precisioncontent.com>
To: Kristen James Eberlein <kris@eberleinconsulting.com>

Hi Kris,

I'm reviewing the draft and have a question. The summary of this stage 3 proposal reads:
"Add an optional <diagnostics> element to the troubleshooting topic. This element will provide a
location for authors to provide information about how to determine the cause of a problem and thus apply
the correct remedy."

My interpretation of this text is that authors can optionally add both the cause and steps to their troubleshooting topics.
The content model summarized in " Approved technical requirements" also leads me to think that we want to allow zero or one <diagnostics-general> followed by zero or one <diagnostics-steps>.
However, the DTD and RNG changes make them one or the other, not both.
My concern is: what if a writer wants to add a troubleshooting table as well as troubleshooting steps to their <diagnostics> section?

Am I misinterpreting the text or misreading the grammar files?

I'm returning to work after a week's vacation, so my brain may still be partially switched off...

Cheers,
Gershon

Gershon Joseph | Senior Information Architect | Precision Content Direct: +972 (54) 658-3887| Email: gershon@precisioncontent.com | www.precisioncontent.com <http://www.precisioncontent.com/>

Unlock the Knowledge in Your Enterpriseâ

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Please notify us by return email if you have received this email in error. Â2020, Precision Content Authoring Solutions Inc, Toronto, Ontario, Canada