Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 22 June 2021 uploaded

Submitter's message
ACTION ITEMS:
Kris: Look into opening a repository for specializations removed from the standard.
Kris: Look into rewriting the purpose of the RNG repository to broaden it a bit.
Everybody: Prepare questions or topics for discussion for the next webinar, June 29.
Eliot and Nancy: Review email from Silka and the DITA 1.3 Feature Article: Using DITA 1.3 Troubleshooting - https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/53516/DITA13TroubleshootingArticle_FINAL_03jul14.pdf
Kris: Update PDF of DITA 2.0 proposals.

=====================

OASIS DITA Technical Committee 22 June 2021 meeting notes
11 AM ET open
1. Roll call
Regrets: Dawn Steven
Present: Kris, Zoe, Chris, Keith, Eric, Robert, Gershon, Carsten, Scott, Carlos, Deb, Frank, Nancy, Eliot

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
08 June 2021 https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00017.html (Lawson, 11 June 2021)
Carlos provided the name that was missing in the minutes. He will send an email with the corrections.

3. Announcements
No meeting July 29, due to Webinar, next business meeting is July 5.

4. Action items

Dawn, Gershon, Nancy, Frank, Kris: Work on revised charter

Kris & Dawn: Follow up with Silke at Erikson about example of troubleshooting topic that contains diagnostic content IN PROGRESS
Carlos: Follow up with LwDITA subcommittee about fallback element, how to handle strong and em elements, and common elements used in both topic and map
Carlos update - Fallback is there and asked to update in other places. The strong and em elements are in the emphasis domain. Alan Hauser volunteered to work on documenting elements that are common to both topic and map.

22 June 2021 NEW ACTION ITEMS
Kris: Look into opening a repository for specializations removed from the standard.
Kris: Look into rewriting the purpose of the RNG repository to broaden it a bit.
Everybody: Prepare questions or topics for discussion for the next webinar, June 29.
Eliot and Nancy: Review email from Silka and the DITA 1.3 Feature Article: Using DITA 1.3 Troubleshooting - https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/53516/DITA13TroubleshootingArticle_FINAL_03jul14.pdf
Kris: Update PDF of DITA 2.0 proposals.

5. Check-in: How are people doing in this difficult time? How is your state/country doing?

6. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DeadlinesDITA2.0
Kris updated dates on Loosen attribute specialization rules. Kris will work on before the fourth of July. Kris to update that she received review comments from Eliot.

7. Normative rule about @class and @specializations required on the root element of every topic and map
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00011.html (Eberlein, 08 June 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00015.html (Anderson, 10 June 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00016.html (Kimber, 10 June 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00024.html (Eberlein, 22 June 2021)

What should we say about the @specializations attribute? Robert suggested that we ensure certain information is in the spec topic. Including non-normative note. Eliot suggested that we add a reminder that if the attribute is not required when the value would be empty. Eliot and Robert agree there is no conflict.

8. Continued: DITA 2.0 Webinar for vendors?

How do folks think it went? What should we prepare for the Webinar on the 29th?
Robert: Seemed that it went well. Attendees were paying attention.
Kris: Robert, Chris, Deb, thanks for answering questions.
Keith: At Precision Content, there was a running internal Slack discussion.
Kris: anything we should discuss as a TC.
Keith: Overall, no. I will ask if there are any topics others would like to discuss.
Kris: We need to be prepared with questions to answer in case we are not getting any from participants.
Robert: I think that?s wise.
Eliot: there could clearly be a discussion about XSDs.

Statistics and details about 15 June 2021 Webinar https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00021.html (Eberlein, 22 June 2021)

OASIS sent a follow-up email to attendees.

Follow-up questions/comments we've gotten about 15 June 2021 Webinar
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00022.html (Eberlein, 22 June 2021)

What will happen to specializations not included in DITA 2.0?
This is probably a good time for us to start discussing our plan.

Another question about whether the DITA 2.0 release coincides with a DITA-OT release?
Robert: My answer would be that releases don?t coincide. There is no official coordination.
Kris: People might be interested in how the DITA-OT project tries to align with new releases of DITA. The interest might be random.
Robert: there is some prototype testing going on, depending on feedback will determine what is implemented. It is unlikely that the DITA-OT will fully support DITA 2.0 at the release.
Kris: Plan next week to speak to the DITA-OT project and asking for volunteers to help with testing.

E-mails exchanged with Markus Wiedenaier about not distributing XSDs for DITA 2.0 https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00023.html (Eberlein, 22 June 2021)
Kris: Markus is with a C.net. He was concerned about removing XSD and asked why we are not removing DTD instead. Kris shared the entire email thread with the TC. Kris would like and feedback on her response.
Gershon: the only thing missing was that XSD does not support modularization the way you can DTD. You can?t automate the transformation from RNG to DTD. You can transform the DTD and create a single XSD. Precision content does this for organizations that require the single XSD. Maybe the transform that Eliot started could be shared to build the single XSD. As long as you don?t try to build out the modular architecture it is pretty straight forward.
Eliot: the transform that I wrote tried to build a modular XSD. Building constraint or specialization was beyond my skill. There are tools that do a good job of transforming RNG or DTD to a monolithic XSD. Some tools want the smallest XSD that you need for you tool. They had a problem with XOpus and large XSD.
Frank: Markus also mentioned that his tool chain does not support DTD. There are not as many options for tools, need to rely on Saxon. Somebody else is working on transformation or tool that uses Saxon 2 that is supported on .NET Core.
Kris: it seems that is should be simple enough for any tool vendor to generate a flat XSD that represent DITA 2.0. I don?t think the TC should do that. We are not supporting XSD. We have reasons. Conceivably, it is possible that we would want to have an OASIS Git hub repository where people could store a monolithic XSD, or share code to build the XSD.
Eliot: I think that is a good idea. I would volunteer to help with that.
Eric: I could also look at what we have and help.
Robert: I think posting the monolithic XSD, would go against telling people to build their own shells.
Kris: Eliot, I?m delighted you would be the middle man between the open repository and the TC. I think Eric and Eliot should work together. Deb posted that one of the TransPerfect CCMS uses XSD. Maybe they could also volunteer some help.
Kris: Gershon, you mentioned Precision Content has transformation.
Gershon: I can check to see if there is anything to share.
Kris: Would it be good to have an OASIS Open repository to share tools or XSD example. Eliot and Eric will lead this effort. Deb will see if anybody from TransPerfect would be willing to help. Gershon will see if Precision content and provide anything.
Kris: Other OASIS repositories. We have talked about a repository for the specializations that are removed from the DITA 2.0 spec. A repository for migrating to DITA 2.0, and now a repository for XSD. Do we want to have one repository for tooling, or separate repositories?
Zoe: I?m not a huge Git hub user, but is it really easy to get lost or identify which repository I?m looking at.
Robert: OASIS does make a distinction between tools and standard content. For DITA 2.0 compatible specializations (machinery task, learning and training), I think those should be in one place.
Eliot: it would make sense for me to have one repo for specializations.
Chris: are we under the OASIS organization?
Robert: Yes. We are under OASIS. If we create a new repo, it is up to them to create.
Kris: The repo is not specifically for tools. OASIS makes a distinction ? Is it standards or not standards. For every repo we open, we must have somebody identified as the point person from the committee. The open repos are designed for non-OASIS members to join and participate. We have one for the XSD tool and one for our DITA stylesheets. We are on the road to having multiple repositories. Adding one for specializations removed from the standard. I think going forward we might want to think about consolidating some of these.
Zoe: If we are going to have multiple repos, adding a README page with links to other repositories would be helpful.
Chris: There are ways in Git hub to make navigation easier. I?m on the side that a repo should be what it is. I?ll send information to the list.
Kris: I do like have separate repos for different tools, but a single repository for the specializations removed from DITA 2.0.
Robert: agreed.
Eliot: another thing we can do is have different release artifacts that we can pick and choose. I would be happy to be a governor of the Specialization repository.
Carlos: I mentioned that I would like to track the Learning and Training specialization.
Kris: Eliot, let?s spread around the responsibility. What do folks think about XSD?
Nancy: I?m inclined to think they should go with the RNG transforms. They seem very related to me.
Robert: I was going to say something very similar.

Kris: bringing focus back to Next week?s webinar. Please register for that webinar. Kris will touch base with OASIS for speaker logons for Deb, Robert, and Chris. Think about questions we could address at the webinar if we don?t have any questions. We would be better off having questions prepared. Things people would benefit from having more information. Items we should amplify.

9. Continuing DITA 2.0 troubleshooting: diagnostics_general OR diagnostics_steps (not both)?
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202105/msg00030.html (Stevens, 20 May 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202105/msg00031.html (Kimber, 20 May 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202105/msg00046.html (Eberlein, 27 May 2021)
Additional information from Ericcson
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00025.html (Eberlein, 22 June 2021)
Kris: I would like to wait for Dawn Stevens to be on call for further discussion. Asked for TC volunteers to review. Kris asked for more details. Are there folks who would be interested?
Nancy: I'm interested.
Eliot: I?m looking at this now and will look at this some more.
Kris: Silka pointed to the white paper from Bob Thomas. The information in the original white paper might not be what we would recommend now. A few of us should also review that white paper.
10. General announcements
Bright talk webinar: Automating page layouts. Pushing a tools called Schema LayoutFX. I can post a link.
Eliot: Yes, they have a tool that is very similar to Miramo. It is a stand-alone tool.
Kris will post the link to the list (copied here). https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/9273/493427

11:57 am ET close

-- Deb Bissantz
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 22 June 2021

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Deb Bissantz