Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 10 August 2021 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems: none

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 10 August 2021
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
Robert Anderson, Carsten Brennecke, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Nancy Harrison, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann, Stan Doherty, Jim Tivy

Business
========

1. Roll call
Regrets: Dawn Stevens, Zoe Lawson, Soctt Hudson, Eliot Kimber, Gershon Joseph, Deb Bissantz

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202108/msg00007.html (Bissantz, 03 August 2021)
moved by Kris, 2nd Eric, approved by TC

3. Announcements
none

4. Action items
[updates only; complete list in agenda]
Dawn, Gershon, Nancy, Frank, Kris: Work on revised charter IN PROGRESS
Nancy: Draft suggested URL string, short description, and purpose statement for OASIS open repo for specializations not part of the standard IN PROGRESS
27 July 2021:
Carlos & Scott: Test drive Oxygen scripts for refactoring content for DITA 2.0 COMPLETED by Carlos
Dawn: Schedule meeting about charter with Kris, Gershon, Frank, and Nancy; assign point person IN PROGRESS

5. Check-in: How are people doing in this difficult time? How is your state/country doing?
[no official business]

6. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DeadlinesDITA2.0
[no updates]

7. DITA Adoption TC moves to consider a vote to disband
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202108/msg00008.html (Eberlein, 04 August 2021)
What does this mean for the DITA TC?
- Kris; what Adoption TC work will we pick up? some are obvious, some are not. When Adoption TC was created, some of its 'stuff' that had originally been in DITA TC charter was moved into Adoption TC, e.g., maintenance of dita.xml.org website.
- Stan; This situation started with our reviewing the Adoption TC charter, we spent weeks going thru it. The original mission was to provide info and support to clarify the VALUE of DITA in the marketplace; we went over artifacts, roles (e.g., liaisons), etc. We realized we couldn't satisfy most of the Adoption TC charter; we were spending time constructing/maintaining scaffolds in & around the TC without having deliverables we could deliver. If we don't see a way to succeed in fulfilling the charter, then we don't really have a reason to exist. At first, we wanted to rename the TC from Adoption to Advocacy, since DITA is already adopted in the community, and advocacy is more important, but we weren't able to because of OASIS ground rules. We couldn't refocus the TC without doing a whole new charter, We were focused on writers and managers, but were not likely to attract new members. So we ended up deciding it was better to shut down TC on grounds of lack of viability than try to do someting we can't do. I think there's a real need for advocacy, but not in OASIS. Maybe in ACM (SIGDOC)? So we're disbanding the TC and offering our stuff to anyone who wants it.
- Keith; perfect summary, Stan. If you're an Adoption TC member, you already got thenotice of upcoming vote. Plan is for a meeting second week in Sept, voting members will vote to disband. after that, I'm not clear what end game is.
- Kris; questions?
- Frank; you mentioned what you hadn't accomplished, but what is on the positive side?
- Stan; some white papers, in the past few years a focus on listening sessions around the country, which drove a lot of thinking about what we should do; basically organized mtgs with folks to find out what did/didn't work for them, and brought back the info to the DITA TC. For a while, dita.xml.org was working, but there was no money to follow thru on maintenance; . Brought together a lot of dita content. went to various conferences to talk to users.
- Keith; there were definitely Adoption TC members at all CIDM and many other industry conferences, including sessions of outreach to ask what users like/don't like about standard; often was tooling, and we did take some critiques back to DITA TC. Also in 2019-20, transformed an old pilot's manual to DITA and ncorporated DITA best practices, it's posibly the largest DITA sample outside of Oxygen documentation. We also managesd to get some white papers translated to other languages. There's still interst in writing for non-experts, but this isn't the right venue.
- Kris; as one of the charter members, if I had known political nuances involved, I might not not have gotten involved. I was initially quite active, for years we managed to have official liaisons between Adoption and DITA TC, and formal reports. but over time tensions developed around white papers, especially the overview of 1.3 and scoped keys. There was concern within the DITA TC over technical accuracy, since even though it was written for non-technical audience, it was problematic that it used some different terminology from the spec; a special pain point for scoped keys.
- Stan; so what bits and pieces in adoption are relevant to this TC?
- Keith; aeverything is already archived; the question is what do we want to bring over and update.
- Kris; my choices would be to revise the troubleshooting paper info so it's in line with 2.0, and release it as a CN, not white paper. And poptentially doing a CN of an overview of 2.0. TC has limited people and bandwidth for our own work; spec is our first and foremest responsibility.
- Keith; there's also been interest from members in Adoption TC around new nested steps, but none of the people interested in authoring that are in this TC. Is this TC interested?
- Kris; anything produced by this TC has to go thru a lot of process; we have to be sure that anything we take on is worth that; not sure nested steps is a need for a CN.
- Keith; one angle we were looking at was "what's a big advantage of moving from 1.3 -> 2.0?" Maybe better covered within a larger general 2.0 CN.
- Kris; maybe those folks wanting to focus on steps could go into making a conference presentation, or an article for dita.xml.org
- Robert; hard to imagine a white paper, since if you were using steps already, it's just using it over again, but I've been amazed that this small thing is getting so much attention.
- Kris; it was a great item to include in 2.0. So, back to questions re: what work from Adoption TC might need to be handled here?
- Carlos; what is in pipeline? white papers? - what's in preparation?
- Keith; only 2-3 items.
- Kris; are those ones that were under active productions?
- Keith; they're in draft outline stages, and another by Scott.
- Stan; I have one on content badging that's fairly far along.
- Keith; and another on business rationale on doing l10n; being looked at by Gershon.
- Kris; Keith and Stan, any other points?
- Stan; assuming we vote to disband, there are some procedures that Chet has to do, some administrivia; I suggest that reps from this TC participate in that. if this TC is a good home for anything, that would be great.
- Kris; some work handled by OASIS, but all of artifacts will be frozen, in Kavi, or email archives, or SVN. So I'd say, please ensure that any work products in progress are in Kavi.
- Stan; I think they are.
- Keith; I'd have to reach out to Gershon, but I think we're pretty good. We're aso actively looking at ACM, wrt academic world. It's clear to me that in academia, there's very little understanding of structured content.
- Kris; ACM (=Assn for Computing Machinery) Stan and others have been talking to ACM SIGDOC; it's an org. associated with ACM, but you don't have to be a member of ACM to join SIGDOC. and that's part of rationale for moving to SIGDOC?
- Stan; and if it's a technical committee under SIGDOC, which this would be, membership is free.

8. Continued--Oxygen scripts for refactoring source to DITA 2.0
Testing the Oxygen DITA 1.3 to 2.0 converter
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202108/msg00002.html (Evia, 02 August 2021)
[no updates]

9. DITA 2.0 stage three proposals
[no updates]

10. DITA TC Open OASIS repos
Continuing New repo for specializations not part of the standard
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00010.html (Eberlein, 13 July 2021)
We need the following to request a repo
URL string (part of URL, for example, dita-rng-converter
Short description (used on Web page)
Purpose statement (used in README)
Maintainer name, e-mail, GitHub ID: Carlos Evia, cevia@vt.edu, Carlosevia
Proposed OS license
Description for new OASIS Open DITA specialization repository in GitHub
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00019.html (Harrison, 21 July 2021)
continuing RNG converter
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00008.html (Eberlein, 13 July 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00009.html (Chet Ensign, 13 July 2021)
- Nancy; sent rough draft for repo statements this morning. Wasn't sure whether we should allow non-TC members to put things in
- Kris; i don't think we want anything in there that we don't put in there; dont want it to turn into a dumping ground. And it would be good to see all the parts.
- Nancy; I'll add those in the next iteration.
- Kris; WRT the RNG converter, we need to revise statement of purpose to cover generating monolithic XSD (DTD also?)
- Carlos; and we want to emphasizae that this isn't a dumping ground, TC will be maintaining these.
- Robert; I thought OASIS has boiler plate language you have to use. I expect they have language that will clearly label our TC as owner, so Eliot and Carlos are maintainers so it shouldn't be hidden.
- Nancy; I'll resend with entire list of what appears, not just About and Readme, so we can see what will be there.

11. Ongoing Work on TC charter
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202105/msg00022.html (Wegmann, 18 May 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202105/msg00025.html (Harrison, 18 May 2021)
- Dawn; met this morning, sent out minutes of that meeting, will continue to work on this item.

11:53 am ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 10 August 2021

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison