Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 24 August 2021 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems:
1. Kris will figure out reviewers for latest diagnostics proposal.
2. Kris will look at the OASIS form that needs to be filled out for creating new specializations repo, to see what's required.
3. Robert will look at 2.0 specs to see if they can be published (without draft-comment material) by 9/14.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 24 August 2021
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann

Business
========

1. Roll call
Regrets: Carlos Evia, Keith Schengili-Roberts

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202108/msg00017.html (Harrison, 11 August 2021)
moved by Kris, 2nd Dawn, approved by TC

3. Announcements: none

4.Action items
[updates only; complete list in agenda]
o Dawn, Gershon, Nancy, Frank, Kris: Work on revised charter IN PROGRESS
- Kris; more news at checkin...
o Nancy: Draft suggested URL string, short description, and purpose statement for OASIS open repo for specializations not part of the standard IN PROGRESS
o Carlos: Generate PDF of LwDITA spec; due 16 August 2021
- Kris; Frank, can you help with this?
- Frank; I've had no contact with Carlos in a couple of weeks.
- Kris; but maybe you can help generate the PDF?
- Frank; I'll try
o Kris: Refactor source for troubleshooting committee note; upload to committee note repo; due 16 August 2021
- Kris; refactored this; want to get some review from Dawn and Nancy, will send a PDF later today.
o Eliot: Draft revised description and purpose for RNG convertor repo
- Kris; Eliot, any movement on this?
- Eliot; yes, I looked at it today; I don't think it needs much, but I'll have a proposal soon.

5. Check-in: How are people doing in this difficult time? How is your state/country doing?
[no official business]

6. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DeadlinesDITA2.0
[updates only; see link above for complete details]

Stage three
(Stevens) Diagnostics elements (revised)
? 2021: Sent to reviewers (Harrison, Kimber)
? 2021: Initial TC discussion
? 2021: TC vote
- Kris; Dawn, I sent some updates to you.
- Dawn, got them this morning, haven't had a chance to look at them.
- Kris; do we need to have an add'l example? any thoughts on when you might be able to resubmit?
- Dawn; I think I can add a new example this week, so it should be able to be done this week; then it just needs to be distributed to folks next week.
- Kris; just to designated reviewers?
***ActionItem: Kris will figure out reviewers for this proposal.

7. DITA TC Open OASIS repos
Continuing New repo for specializations not part of the standard
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00010.html (Eberlein, 13 July 2021)
We need the following to request a repo
URL string (part of URL, for example, dita-rng-converter
Short description (used on Web page)
Purpose statement (used in README)
Maintainer name, e-mail, GitHub ID: Carlos Evia, cevia@vt.edu, carlosevia
Proposed OS license
NEW Draft info by Nancy:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202108/msg00016.html (Harrison, 10 August 2021)
Description for new OASIS Open DITA specialization repository in GitHub
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00019.html (Harrison, 21 July 2021)
- Kris; any comments on Nancy's most recent mail on this?
- Frank; just a question, 'contributors licenses', what's that?
- Nancy; just OASIS boilerplate.
- Kris; we're really only concerned with the 'About' and 'Statement of Purpose' items.
- Nancy; plus the 'README'.
- Eliot; I'm hesitant to us to say too much because it becomes an obligation, but we should include updates for 2.0.
- Kris; We'll do updates for 2.0, but maybe not for other major releases, after 2.0, the machinery task may go off to die soemwhere; we want to have our statements enough to be meaningful, but not too onerous.
- Gershon; in 1.3, we said we wouldl be taking these out at 2.0. If we do keep them in, and we may want to do that, we don't need to say they were previously delivered. I think we should note that we don't commit to updating these for future releases.
- Kris; but we want to have wriggle room to add non-previously included specializations.
- Robert; I find it hard to imagine that we'll be adding others
- Gershon; what if someone else adds them?
- Robert; we don't want those; we talked about it last week.
- Kris; does anyone oppose having this only for specializations that were, but are no longer, part of a release? It might be the place where we could put Chris's work on the 1.3-coompatible multimedia domain.
- Robert; if we put this in, people might expect us to provide migration/tools etc for it.
- Kris; but in the future, if we developed something but didn't put it in the standard, it could go here.
- Kris; so maybe we need some slight tweaks to 'Statement of Purpose'?
- Frank; these were developed in OASIS context, but this is being called 'open'; what does 'open' mean? And if we say it's what was done by TC, that doesn't reflect 'open'.
- Kris; 'open', in this context, permits non-OASIS people to work on these specializations; e.g. someone else can maintain/update this content.
- Robert; right, that's the definition of these types of repo as it comes from OASIS..
- Kris; we've made some progress on this; so we'll include stuff that was in standard, or something we develop in course of a release. nothing that wasn't originally developed within the TC.
***ActionItem: Kris will look at the OASIS form that needs to be filled out for creating this repo, to see what's required.

Continuing RNG converter
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00008.html (Eberlein, 13 July 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00009.html (Chet Ensign, 13 July 2021)
Need to revise statement of purpose to cover generating monolithic XSD (DTD also?)
[covered above under 'Action Items']

8. DITA 2.0 stage three proposals
[no updates]

9. Ongoing Work on TC charter
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202105/msg00022.html (Wegmann, 18 May 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202105/msg00025.html (Harrison, 18 May 2021)

10. Rescheduled Webinar
14 September 2021 is good for everyone (OASIS, Eberlein, Anderson, Nitchie)
What are the work items here? What do we need to put in place?
- Kris; date will be 9/14, (3 wks from today). Dawn; are you willing to replace Deb?
- Dawn; yes.
- Kris; I'll reach out to OASIS and confirm speakers, and they'll give us links. They'll send out notices. I want our repos to be updated, b/c those were questions that people raised. They just have to have initial content, it doesn't have to be updated for 2.0. We will need an updated ilst of 2.0 proposals; it would be nice to have diagnostics proposal finished by then. Robert, we said we'd have draft specs available; what are your thoughts about havning PDF available?
- Robert; I don't remember, I think there was a formatting issue with draft-comments, so we could publish it w/o draft-comments. but if we absolutely need the comments, we can't do it. I think we just need the final change for troubleshooting. just text, grammar files already done, I think.
- Kris; Robert; can you take an AI to look at specs and see if they can be published without draft-comment?
- Robert; ok
***ActionItem: Robert will look at specs to see if they can be published (without draft-comment material) by 9/14.
- Kris; I'll talk to OASIS and see if we have a new signup link. Is there anything else missing? One company that was glaringly absent was Adobe. Would be nice to get them to send someone to this one.. If you think of anything we should be doing, post to list, and we'll have it on agenda next week.

12 noon ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 24 August 2021

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison