Subject: Questions arising from the DITAVAL elements review

There are some  comments in the current DITAweb review that we want to bring to the TC for discussion:

The term “conditional processing”
Dawn brought up the point that many people equate the term “conditional processing” with just inclusion/exclusion, not the broader category of “filtering and flagging.” The spec currently uses the term “conditional processing” frequently …

How can we best be clear that DITA supports both filtering and flagging? Do we stress that conditional processing = filtering + flagging? Change the terminology that we use?

How we handle definitions for the “flagging” attributes on <prop> and <revprop>
There are quite a few attributes on <prop> and <revprop> that ONLY apply when the element is used is used for flagging (that is, @action is set to “flag”.) We went into the review with definitions that looked like the following:

We have conflicting comments about this format:

  • Dawn suggested that the final sentence – “If the @action attribute is not set to “flag,” this attribute is ignored – be removed, since the parenthetical remark is clear.
  • Gershon suggested rewriting all the definitions to remove the parenthetical remark, for example: “When the @action attribute is set to “flag,” specifies the background color for flagged text.”

What do we want to do with these definitions? The attributes are @backcolor, @color, @outputclass, and @style.