Subject: Re: Questions arising from the DITAVAL elements review

Typing up an answer in case I'm really late on Tuesday.

I definitely think we should emphasize that "conditional processing" includes filtering and flagging.

I think I like conditional processing better than "profiling", which is the other term that folks seem to use. I honestly never understood the definition of "profiling". (I wonder if "profiling" may end up on an avoid list for inclusive writing, as well)

Potentially, "filtering and flagging" may be the better phrase, but it's still a mouthful. "Conditional processing and flagging" is also a mouthful, but clear.

I think I prefer Gershon's revision without the parenthesis.
I also wonder if that same rewrite needs to be added to all the flagging-specific elements (<alt-text>, <endflag>, <startflag>, <style-conflict>).

Thanks,
Zoë

From: dita@lists.oasis-open.org <dita@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of kris eberleinconsulting.com <kris@eberleinconsulting.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2022 2:18 PM
To: dita <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

There are some  comments in the current DITAweb review that we want to bring to the TC for discussion:

The term “conditional processing”
Dawn brought up the point that many people equate the term “conditional processing” with just inclusion/exclusion, not the broader category of “filtering and flagging.” The spec currently uses the term “conditional processing” frequently …

How can we best be clear that DITA supports both filtering and flagging? Do we stress that conditional processing = filtering + flagging? Change the terminology that we use?

How we handle definitions for the “flagging” attributes on <prop> and <revprop>
There are quite a few attributes on <prop> and <revprop> that ONLY apply when the element is used is used for flagging (that is, @action is set to “flag”.) We went into the review with definitions that looked like the following:

We have conflicting comments about this format:

  • Dawn suggested that the final sentence – “If the @action attribute is not set to “flag,” this attribute is ignored – be removed, since the parenthetical remark is clear.
  • Gershon suggested rewriting all the definitions to remove the parenthetical remark, for example: “When the @action attribute is set to “flag,” specifies the background color for flagged text.”

What do we want to do with these definitions? The attributes are @backcolor, @color, @outputclass, and @style.