Subject: Technical content specializations to add to proposal #647

There are a lot of specializations of <topicref> in the technical content edition! Here are my thoughts of what to include (and what to exclude):

Elements to include:
Elements that typically reference topics that might be about a wide variety of subjects:

  • <appendix>
  • <chapter>
  • <glossref>
  • <part>

I was a little on the fence about enabling @subjectrefs on <glossref>, since glossary topics are tightly focused topics about a single term. But then I thought of a few (credible?) use cases for it:

  • Enabling folks to generate output based on a subjectScheme map (an explanation of subjects for the authoring team, perhaps) that would also include related terms
  • If an implementation was using subject classification for some sort of faceted browsing experience, perhaps they would want to be able to surface related terminology

Elements to exclude:

  • All the list elements in bookmap
  • All the bookmap elements that are narrowly focused and have specific sematic meaning, <colophon> and <dedication, for example
  • All the bookmap elements that serve as a grouping element, <frontmatter> and <backmatter>, for example

Thoughts? Let me know if you object, preferably before I send an updated proposal to the list.