Subject: RE: Technical content specializations to add to proposal #647

Part of what I want to do with the proposal is to open the door to folks building processing â especially processing likely to be interchangeable â around this attribute. And also open the door to adding processing expectations for @subjectrefs in DITA 2.1.

The DITA-OT (and other processors) never built processing support for the classification domain because of at least the following factors, I think:

  • Poor design of the domain
  • Inadequate documentation of the domain and processing expectations for it in the spec
  • The fact that it would be almost impossible to build generic processing for the domain

In an ideal world, we would have hashed through this proposal during the formal DITA 2.0 proposal process, and it would have included processing expectations. But we didnât.

My gut instinct is to keep the current proposal as simple as possible, both because of the late time frame, but also to make it likely that:

  • Processors and implementations can build processing support.
  • The DITA can add processing expectations in a future release.

To me, that seems a good reason to only add @subjectrefs to topicref specializations that would be clearly used to reference topics that need classification â

The more discussion on this the better, I think.

Kris