Subject: FW: Request for TC feedback about @subjectrefs proposal

Forwarding.

Kris

From: Eliot Kimber <eliot.kimber@servicenow.com>
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2022 10:45 AM
To: kris eberleinconsulting.com <kris@eberleinconsulting.com>

Here I’m only concerned about the key nature of @subjectrefs and subject scheme maps—either subject scheme maps are normal maps for the purpose of determining what keys they define and then resolving those keys to some resource as bound in the subject scheme map or they are not. Either subject scheme maps are normal maps and all the key rules apply (and there are no special rules around keys defined in subject scheme maps) or subject scheme maps must be entirely distinct (which I think we’ve already established should have been the case originally).

The key nature of subject scheme maps is orthogonal to the understanding of the subject scheme as a hierarchy or graph of subjects, that is, the hierarchy relevant to the definition of enumerated lists—that’s entirely in the domain of subject scheme processing semantics, I think. The semantic processing of a subject scheme as a taxonomy or ontology is not dependent on the details of the key space constructed, except to the degree the key binding determines whatever resources might be associated with a given subject name in a given processing context.

The only wrinkle I can think of is the implications when a key defined in a subject scheme map is overridden by the using map when a subject scheme map is used as a submap—does that affect the subject-scheme-defined hierarchical position of that key or does it simply rebind that key, at that position in the hierarchy, to some other resource?

I would think that the latter behavior would be correct: The subject scheme defines a hierarchy of subjects (the key names) and those get bound to some resources. The resource binding can be overridden using normal key mechanisms but the hierarchy definition is invariant (otherwise it would be very dangerous to include subject scheme maps as submaps for fear of accidently disrupting a subject hierarchy).

That is, the markup of the subject scheme map defines the structure of the taxonomy and the names of the subjects and that is a function of the markup and has nothing to do with the key space that also results from applying normal key space construction rules to the subject scheme map.

This also suggests that using subject scheme maps as peer maps or as application-bound maps would be normal practice so that the subject scheme itself is completely isolated from any keys defined in the referencing maps.

It sounds like we’re in agreement on the normative processing requirements, just wanted to be sure.

Sr Staff Content Engineer

O: 512 554 9368

M: 512 554 9368

servicenow.com