Subject: RE: [dita] Chair Honorarium

Hi, Jim.

I am delighted to see that you are thinking about the TC problems and proposing a potential solution for us to consider.

As current chair, I donât feel a need for a honorarium â but future chairs might. I usually average 4-6 hours a week doing âchair work.â (Iâll list out what that involves later in this e-mail.)

For me, the current problem is that time and work that spec editing demands. Quite honestly, for DITA 2.0 it could eat up 30-50 hours a week, which I just canât afford to give. What I can afford to give is maybe four hours a week. I told Robert earlier today that Iâd estimate that this will push out releasing DITA 2.0 another five years (assuming the same levels of involvement from Robert and other TC members) â

I think that itâs time that we have to think clearly about the problems the TC faces, brainstorm possible solutions (even if they seem crazy), and what work would be involved to get moving on implementing some of those solutions.

âChair workâ:

  • Putting together the agenda for the weekly call (1 â 2 hours)
  • Facilitating the weekly call (1 hour)
  • Post-call admin work (0.50 hours)
  • Communication with OASIS
  • Keeping track of our tools and resources: GitHub repos, Wiki pages, document repository, GitHub projects, DITAweb
  • Providing information about the TC, recruitment of potential new members (Iâve spent about 6 hours so far this week â)