Subject: Interim status, review P: Configuration

We’ve responded to and assigned dispositions for each of the comments in the review. There are a number that we need to talk about at the TC level, so be sure and look at the “Referred comments” section below. Attached is a PDF of the review content + draft comments entered in Content Fusion, as well as a PDF of the “Configuration” material that is currently in GitHub, with the content changed as a result of the review highlighted in red.

Participants

TC voting members + volunteers

Participation in review P

Reviewed content as part of the stage three proposal #15

Dawn Stevens

Kris Eberlein

Stan Doherty

Nancy Harrison

Eric Sirois

Robert Anderson

Gershon Joseph

Carsten Brennecke

Scott Hudson

Zoe Lawson

Bill Burns

Frank Wegmann

Comment dispositions

All comments in the review have been assigned a disposition:

  • Accepted: Yes, we want to do this, but we cannot make the changes right now. There might be a dependency, or we might need to figure out where content should be placed.
  • Closed: We do not need to make any changes to the source. Usually a reviewer has asked a question and someone has answered it.
  • Completed: A reviewer has requested changes, and the work has been done.
  • Deferred: A reviewer has requested changes, we agree that they would be ideal, but it’s low priority and unlikely to be done.
  • Referred: We want the TC to talk about this. It might be a point that reviewers disagree about, or it might just be something that we think all TC members need to understand.
  • Rejected: A reviewer has requested changes, but they are not going to happen. The requested changes might violate style guidelines, contravene decisions that the TC has already made, or be something that the spec editors strongly disagree with.

Referred comments

These are important! We will discuss them at the next TC meeting.

Topic

Content that the TC needs to discuss

Disposition

1 Configuration, specialization, generalization, constraints, and expansion

Three comments about the chapter title

Referred

1.2.1 Overview of document-type shells

  • One comment about the distinction between validation and grammar-aware processing
  • One comment about moving material about “custom document-type shells are a best practice” to an appendix

Referred

1.2.2 Rules for document-type shells

Sample URN needing changes, will ripple through all RNG catalog files

Referred

1.2.3 Equivalence of document-type shells

One comment about whether the topic is necessary

Referred

1.2.4 Conformance of document-type shells

One comment about whether the topic is necessary

Referred

1.3.3 Vocabulary modules

  • One comment about whether some “best practices” material should be moved elsewhere
  • One comment about when structural specializations become dependencies

Referred

1.3.4 Specialization rules for element types

  • One comment about rules for content models of specialized element types
  • One comment about expanding on the difference between specialization and expansion

Referred

1.3.8 Specializing to include non-DITA content

Do we need to define “foreign content”?

Referred

1.4.2 Constraint rules

One comment about whether this topic needs to include information about the need to aggregate constraint and expansion modules if they are overriding the same vocabulary module

Referred

Accepted comments

Topic

Work to be done

Disposition

1.1 Overview of DITA extension facilities

Add link to generalization content

Accepted

1.2.1 Overview of document-type shells

Eliot to update graphic

Accepted

1.3.1 Overview of specialization

Zoe: Question about “unexpected consequences” of specialization

Accepted

1.3.1 Overview of specialization

Need to make sure that the expansion topics make it clear that a specialization is required. It might be a new specialization, or it might be an existing one, such as an OASIS attribute specialization not in use.

Accepted

1.3.6 @ class attribute rules and syntax

Need to include the example when we review the generalization content

Accepted

1.4.2 Constraint rules

Make reused content a conref

Accepted

1.4.5.1 Example: Redefine the content model for the <topic> element using RNG

Ensure that combine=”interleave” is covered where needed

Accepted

1.5.1 Overview of expansion modules

Recast some wording

Accepted

1.5.2 Expansion module rules

Need to add link after we have reintegrated content about generalization

Accepted

We track these comments – and the work done on them on a Wiki page.

Deferred comments

Topic

Content

Note

1.4.4.2 Example: Constrain attributes for the <section> element using DTD

Rework example topics as task topics / write in 2nd person

Deferred

.5.3.4 Example: Aggregating constraint and expansion modules using DTDs

Show code for aggregating the constraint and expansion modules

Deferred

We track these comments – and the work done on them on a Wiki page.

Owner, Eberlein Consulting LLC
kris@eberleinconsulting.com

Skype: kriseberlein; voice: +1 (919) 622-1501