Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 4 October 2022 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems:
1. Eliot will review emails on agenda #11 (generalization), Kris will do same and look at Gershon's comments

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 4 October 2022
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
===========
Robert Anderson, Bill Burns, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Eliot Kimber, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann, Todd Thorne, Chris Trenkamp

Business
========

1. Roll call
Regrets: Eliot Kimber

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202210/msg00001.html (Harrison, 03 October 2022)
Kris moved, 2nd Scott, approved by TC

3. Announcements

4. Action items
[updates only; see agenda for complete list]
27 September 2022:
Nancy: Consider whether she could author accessibility examples topics (imagemap and simpletable) that Keith had volunteered for
- Kris; Keith notified us that he will return next week and do his topics.

5. Volunteer tasks
a. Eliot: Update image for "Overview of document-type shells" topic
- Kris; Eliot, any sense of when you can do this?
- Eliot; hopeful I can do this and the video proposal this weekend
b. Dawn and Comtech: Develop draft of changes from DITA 1.3 to DITA 2.0
- Kris; Dawn, any movement?
- Dawn; need to do some cross-checking between what Eliot has at his link, and what we have. Maybe enxt week, definitely within 2 weeks.
- Kris; when should TC review your work?
- Dawn; two weeks out.

6. Report from LwDITA subcommittee (Wegmann)
Download the latest version of the draft spec (PDF)
See list of LwDITA spec work items
Download the latest version of a PDF that show content shared between DITA and LwDITA. Flagging (text and background highlighting) is used to indicate whether content is applicable to DITA, LwDITA, or both.
- Kris; we will be putting this on TC agenda first call of each month.
- Frank; had meeting yesterday. one thing that had been impeding us was our inability to build spec document. Kris found issue and now we can build the spec, so we can make progress. in spec, some things need to be addressed because spec was based on 1.3 and now it needs to re-based on 2.0. Now working on those issues, e.g. some entity groups that declare a single @; we no longer want to use those as separate entities because it doesn't make sense. Once we're done, we should have a better alignment with 2.0. Big thanks to Kris for fixing the build; it came out that it was because of a topic that was conref'd that contained key refs, we replaced the conref with conkeyref and it worked. We want folks to start looking at this spec, because I'll be asking LwD SC to bring stuff to TC for review, e.g. conformance statements, and normative vs. non-normative content. We now have a build that builds all the standard and LwD content side by side; it's important to check that document to make sure we have parallel content in both specs.

7. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DeadlinesDITA2.0

Combined stage two and three
(Kimber) Change @poster to (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/753)
- Kris; do we have an update?
- Eliot; I can have one this weekend.

Stage three
(Anderson) New impose-role attribute (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/670)
- Kris; when can we get an update?
- Robert; Oct 14th

(Kimber) Clean-up changes (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/397)
Note that this does not need to follow the stage three template. But we do need clear description of each change, when the TC approved the change, and whether the change has been made in the grammar files and spec.
- Eliot; this came back with a bunch of comments, I can work on that; which one is higher priority, this or poster element proposal? The poster element proposal is quicker,
- Kris; cleanup proposal is a dependency for Dawn's work, but your existing draft might be adequate for that purpose. Let's go with poster element.

8. DITA 2.0 spec review: Appendixes (28 September - 10 October 2022
Opening of review
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00042.html (Eberlein, 28 September 2022)
Topics that need review
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202210/msg00003.html (04 October 2022)
- Kris; so far, no participation, not scintillating material, but it does need review... See my mail for what needs review. I'd like to get volunteers for these specific topics. formatting expectations?
[Eliot and S will review]
- Kris; element by element recommendations for translation volunteers?
[Nancy and Bill will review]
- Kris; and OASIS grammar files?
[Eliot and Eric will review]

9. DITA 1.x to 2.0 migration work
Update about the committee note?
- Kris; any updates? Eliot, you were going to upload comments that you and Zoe updated; I saw a pull request but files still had underscores...
- Eliot; I've done a fair bit of work on committee note, but most work was in actual changes; I'll fix the pull request to adjust the file names.
- Kris; I'd like for the github repo to have most updated stuff weekly; then I can get more folks to help with the CN. Let me know if you need help with re-factoring. I don't think keeping rev history is as important as having the most recent stuff available.
- Eliot; will try to do this.

10. Continued: Appendix C content
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202208/msg00029.html (Eberlein, 16 August 2022)
Prototype of revised content:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202208/msg00045.html
NEW Troublesome topics
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00039.html (Eberlein, 27 September 2022)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00044.html (Doherty, 29 September 2022)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202210/msg00002.html (Bill Burns, 03 October 2022)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202210/msg00006.html (Eberlein, 04 October 2022)
- Kris; we moved these topics, not sure what to do with them.
- Stan; I reviewed them, thought they could just go somewhere else in spec; but for foreign data, some pieces that could just be lifted.
- Bill; for the first one, with some rework it could go into generalization section.
- Kris; general thought here is to keep in mind that these were move to apps because they didn't fit into normative chapters, so we'll have to do some pretty heavy editing to move them back into spec. maybe considerations for generalizations, foreign data should just be removed; I think it's more about processing, which we've been talking about removing from the spec. I really want to hear from Robert, Eliot, and Gershon on this.
- Eliot; looking at it, first 2 paras, my sense is that it just doesn't belong in the spec, we don't need to say anything about it.
- Robert; I agree with that; it talks about one way to do some something, but you could do it other ways as well.
- Kris; Stan and Bill, any problems with removing it?
[none; it will be removed]
- Kris; for processing interoperability, some of it has to move to chapter 7, but with heavy editing.
- Eliot; since I wrote that topic, says b/c of historical concerns, there are ways in which processors can differ but still be conforming.
- Kris; this is because spec doesn't specify a processing order.
- Eliot; and we decided against specifying an order in 2.0. So this info is still relevant, though it isn't normative.
- Kris; it's 100% non-normative. the problem with moving it is that it might be overlooked.
- Eliot; if we have a place in the spec that talks about processing, we could put it there.
- Kris; if, in updated processing chapter, we have a place to talk about things might happen differently depending on processing, then we can point to a non-normative section and have it there.
[Stan and Bill agree with this]
- Kris; so we'll leave this in appendix, and as we continue with editing of processing, make sure it mentions this point and point back to this piece.
- Kris; 3rd part is about spec design (customization and limits of specialization). But this is broad-ranging tutorial info, I'm not sure it belongs in spec. Jarno has the draft spec up, but nto sure how frequently he updates it...
- Eliot; agree, think it could be pulled into a CN; very useful info, but not really spec-appropriate.
- Kris; I don't think we're going to push out a lot of new CNs in 2.0 time frame. Question is, how is DITA best served, by pulling out this app, or keeping it as an app? Stan and Bill, you were thinking it should be moved into body of spec. What are your thoughts?
- Bill; if we're going to keep it, should put it into spec, but I don't mind removing it.
- Stan; seems to have planning value, but if it's a 'unicorn' and unique, makes spec more consistent to remove it.
- Kris; and issue is, 1) do we have the bandwidth to work with it? and 2) how to consider planning for specialization? But probabaly not really spec-appropriate.
- Eliot; this would be more accessible as a CN, rather than being buried in spec.
- Kris; we;'re moving toward re-factoring apps, so they're all content people will really need.. so I'd be most comfortable removing this from spec and considering it for a future CN on designing specializations and generalizations. It may or may not get written, but best moving it out of the spec.
[general agreement]

11. Generalization
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00002.html (Joseph, 04 September 2022)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00008.html (Eberlein, 06 September 2022)
Where we mention generalization in the DITA 2.0 spec
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00010.html (Eberlein, 06 September 2022)
- Kris; had a good discussion last week on this, but I'm not sure how we can move forward on this. Eliot, I'd find it very helpful for you to look at these emails, Gershon's comments, and my responses about where else we mention generalization in spec. I don't know if it make sense to discuss it today.
- Eliot; I'd like a chance to review Gershon's comments.
***ActionItem: Eliot will review emails on agenda #11, Kris will do same and look at Gershon's comments.

12. Schedule for upcoming DITA 2.0 spec reviews:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202208/msg00012.html (Eberlein, 08 August 2022)
- Kris; don't know if we'll have another review opening next week; depends on Kris's time.

12 noon ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 4 October 2022

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison