Subject: Technical content spec: Editorial questions about task elements

We are about to shift to reviewing some of the technical content spec. Accordingly, we have some general questions that we wanted to raise to the TC.

  • What (if anything) do we want to say about generated labels for the primary sections of the task topic? I recommend them to all implementations, except for those that have done a really crappy migrations or have incredibly varying markup. I think they improve readability/usability.

  • In a similar vein, what do we want to say about @importance on <step>? AFAIK, this is the only place where the values are limited to “optional” and “required”. By default, DITA-OT generates a label – no idea what other processors do. Again, a usability consideration.

  • And on a broader level, is there an alternative to the term “Users”? Robert reminds me that software and drug pushers are the two places where the term “users” is prevalent. Has anyone come up with a good alternative? Sometimes reader can be substituted, but not always.

Owner, Eberlein Consulting LLC
kris@eberleinconsulting.com

Skype: kriseberlein; voice: +1 (919) 622-1501