Subject: Re: Specification rules around error logging

If the requirement is a MAY or SHOULD then I think I agree that saying âyou may issue a messageâ is equivalent to saying âyou may call the user and commiserate with them and maybe offer them a tissue and a glass of wineââit a true statement but doesnât add anything to the specification requirements.

My guess is that we were trying to emulate other standards like XSLT that do specify specific error codes for specific error conditions defined in the specification.

Given that DITA is not, strictly speaking, a processing standard in the way that something like XSLT is, I think I agree with Robert that identifying error conditions is sufficient and we can let processors present whatever error messages they want when they are unable to recover from a potentially recoverable error.

If there are places where a processor MUST issue some kind of error message itâs probably appropriate to specify the error code for the purpose of application behavior consistency but I donât know that we have any such cases any more.

Sr Staff Content Engineer

O: 512 554 9368

M: 512 554 9368

servicenow.com