Subject: Groups - TC minutes, 28 March 2023 uploaded

Submitter's message
Adding a revision to minutes to add Zoe Lawson to attendance list

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 28 March 2023
Recorded by Scott Hudson
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
===========
Regrets: Kathryn Torriano, Keith Schengili-Roberts

In attendance:
Dawn Stevens
Kris Eberlein
Bill Burns
Stan Doherty
Frank Wegmann
Robert Anderson
Tammy Crowley
Scott Hudson
Eliot Kimber

Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
===============
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00012.html X (Harrison, 18 March 2023; updated X March 2023)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00027.html (Harrison, 28 March 2023)

Tammy seconded. No objections. Minutes approved

Announcements:
================
Other announcements?
NONE.

Action items and volunteer tasks:
===============================
Kris & Dawn: Met to redefine and craft new examples COMPLETED
Kris & Robert: Schedule time for recurring weekly spec editors' call COMPLETED

Re: Rework of cascading processing rules
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202302/msg00040.html (Kimber, 21 February 2022)
On hold until editors meet

Technical content review C: Programming, software, and UI domains
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202301/msg00005.html (Anderson, 09 January 2023)
Status of review
Participation: Eliot, Kris, Robert, Tammy, Zoe, Stan, Bill, Frank, Nancy
Update (Anderson)

ACTION: Robert to send final status of review

Review E.2: Troubleshooting
Opening of review:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202302/msg00035.html (Eberlein, 20 February 2023)
Status of review:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202302/msg00052.html (Eberlein, 28 February 2023)
element
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00006.html (Eberlein, 07 March 2023)
Final status
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00020.html (Eberlein, 24 March 2023)

Review F: Syntax diagram domain
Opening of review:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202302/msg00056.html (Eberlein, 28 February 2023)
Status of review:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00002.html (Eberlein, 07 March 2023)
Robert: Some general questions on whether we should explain what a diagram is, but not sure if we want to limit to explaining visual diagrams. For accessibility, may need to provide non-graphical rendering. A11y will affect responses on several of the comments/questions.

Review G: xNAL domain
Opening of review:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00005.html (Eberlein, 07 March 2023)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00013.html (Eberlein, 21 March 2023)
Final: Did not send final participation list yet, but may depend on item 10.

Review H: Release management domain
Opening of review:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00018.html (Eberlein, 21 March 2023)
Robert: lots of good discussion in the review, but what to do about all of the examples with elements?
What was the original purpose of this domain?
Scott: original purpose was to generate release notes, so may have been needed to allow metadata from other systems to be robust enough to enable the collation and generation of those notes.
Dawn: Might be related to Eliotâ??s comment about multiple summaries. The summary seemed to be for summarizing the overall release notes and data to enable individual entries. Eliot indicated that multiple summaries could be allowed, so is data needed.
Eliot: if we are going to have , then they should have name to indicate the intent of the data. The fields should indicate the intent.
Kris: origin came from Freescale / NXP. Wanted to make this flexible for use by other CMS systems and companies. There is a whitepaper from DITA Adoption TC on this, too.
Robert: Since we canâ??t quite remember why is allowed everywhere and not a clear purpose, perhaps should remove from the examples.
Dawn: clients using it a lot to generate revision history tables. Dawn recommended that they use a single summary, rather than multiples.
Robert: multiple summaries would be a bad way to just do multiple paras, so a single summary makes most sense.
Kris: NCCI is only client she knows that was using it to generate release notes.
Tammy: data is still allowed, but we are suggesting to remove from the examples.
Eliot: This domain as defined is about documenting explicit changes to the topic or maps, not necessarily about generating actual release notes. Maybe list of affected pages or something. The description of the domain is for release info, not necessarily for release notes. Itâ??s about the map or topic themselves, not about the thing they are documenting.
Dawn: client use case is about the documents themselves.
Robert: Tammy had a question about whether the change summary can appear in a rendered document. Donâ??t think it makes sense to call this out.
Kris: you are on a good track! Do we need to keep this review open for another week? Nothing else in queue, so may leave it open?
Zoe: Make each example unique, rather than repeating the exact same info in an example. (id for example)
Robert: only makes sense when one container element holds a group of elements that are only allowed in a single place.
Another question was why date formats were recommended when they canâ??t be validated. Donâ??t think we should hold back on recommendation even if canâ??t be validated.

ACTION: Kris will send links to the whitepaper and other resources to the list.

Contemplating sunsetting the xNAL domain
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00022.html (Anderson, 27 March 2023)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00024.html (Kimber, 27 March 2023)
Robert: Doesnâ??t get much use, many elements that are fairly complicated and verbose. Domain, so it is limited in how it can be applied. Should we treat it like Learning, Machine Task, such that it is available as a separately downloadable domain if people want to use it.
Eliot: Completely in favor of separating it out from the main spec.
Robert: had to implement DTD side, which was verbose and painful
Scott: in favor of separating it out in case folks are using it, but leans things out which is kind of the point of DITA 2.0 â?? making things simpler and cleaner.
Dawn: in favor of getting rid of it
Bill: only apprehension is if we DONâ??T move it out!
Robert: the DTD is already ready for inclusion in DITA 2.0 should someone want to include it as a specialization.
Robert: Make the motion to remove xNAL from the core DITA spec and added to the specializations github. Need to make sure this is noted in any migration notes.
Kris: Need to add a github issue for this. Robert to open the issue.

Robert motions to sunset the xNAL domain and treat the same as the Learning and Machinery Task specializations.
Eliot seconds the motion.
Roll call vote:
Dawn Stevens: Yes
Kris Eberlein: Yes
Bill Burns: Yes
Stan Doherty: Yes
Frank Wegmann: Yes
Robert Anderson: Yes
Tammy Crowley: Yes
Scott Hudson: Yes
Eliot Kimber: Yes

Bookmeta
Robert: special thanks to Stan for getting all of the spec content in order for this discussion
example
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00025.html (Crowley, 27 March 2023)
Tammy: Not ready for review yet
Kris: should pull author information out, with xNAL being pulled.
Robert: put maintainer and pull the xref

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00023.html (Stevens, 24 March 2023 -- forwarded by Eberlein on 27 March 2023)
Dawn: Description had seemed somewhat limiting. Kris and Dawn reviewed and decided that it was semantically limiting. Could be the person that can do this, or type of role or permissions needed. Might need to include equipment, permissions, specific people, part numbers, if it is a complex step or task. Canâ??t conref prereq, but should we allow prereq to be included or conrefâ??d specifically.
Eliot: Specialization wouldnâ??t be valid because they are specialized from section and section canâ??t include a section. Might need a topic that can be included, but canâ??t be done in troubleSolution.
Kris: might need to take back to drawing board and see if responsibleParty might need to be renamed to some kind of prereq and change the specialization base.
Eliot: troubleSolution is from section and remedy is from section, so itâ??s already broken in DITA 1.3â?¦ Not sure why this wasnâ??t caught during 1.3?
Robert: troubleSolution is just a container, so could have come from bodyDiv. We should change it. The DTD is correct, but the spec is wrong. troubleSolution is specialized from bodyDiv, but spec needs updated.
Kris: remedy is still specialized from section.
Eliot: wouldnâ??t make sense to have prereq between cause and remedy
Kris: need to decide with Dawn if need to create new proposal to have a new element for remedyPrereq. It is an important gap that weâ??ve identified.

Editorial work on DITA for Technical Content 2.0 element-reference topics
How much "context" to show in examples?
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202302/msg00023.html (Eberlein, 14 February 2023)

Editorial assignments, deadlines, review maps
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202301/msg00035.html (Eberlein, 31 January 2023)

Editorial guidelines
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202301/msg00036.html (Eberlein, 31 January 2023)

NEW AND UPDATED https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202303/msg00019.html (Eberlein, 21 March 2023)

ACTION: Kris to get included into OASIS repo

General resources:
Recording of 20 December 2022 session
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202212/msg00033.html
GitHub education that the TC did in 2018
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202212/msg00034.html (Eberlein, 21 December 2022)
Status?
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA2.0TechnicalContentReviews

Glossary: Bill had to drop. no status

Bookmeta: Tammy â?? underway, but not ready to submit for review. Move to April 4.

Bookmap: Tammy â?? want to wrap up bookmeta first. Move out to April 11.
-- Kristen Eberlein
Document Name: TC minutes, 28 March 2023

Description
Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 28 March 2023
Download Latest Revision