Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: XSL print StyleSheets

Bob Stayton wrote:

> > From: Matthew Harrison <harry@inpharmatica.co.uk>
> >
> > 3. But I'm still not in print by this route. 'fo' stylesheets produce fo (I'm
> > learning as I go here :?), not tex like the DSSSL print stylesheets
> > and don't quite get me printing. I'm sure I've missed something.
> > How do I get from fo to tex? (or to print by any route, apart from
> > printing html from a browser or using html2ps)?
>
> The missing piece is a formatting object processor.
> I have successfully used FOP from the Apache
> XML project <http://xml.apache.org> to produce
> PDF from DocBook XML.  It's written in Java 1.1
> and can be used standalone or as a servlet.
> You use XT or equivalent to generate the fo file,
> and then FOP to convert fo to PDF.

Sounds great.
The problem is that I could not get on any of the apache sites today.
What's going on there? Is the manila virus striking again?

But another problem bugs me more: There must be simple switch to make xt
+ ../html/docbook.xsl produce multiple html files instead of dumping one
large pile of text to stdout. I searched extensivly but did not find a
solution. Only some cryptic explanation :-) on
http://www.jclark.com/xml/xt.html.
Shouldn't there just be one nice little commandline switch, or am I
getting something completely wrong.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Dr. Christoph Steinbeck (http://www.ice.mpg.de/departments/ChemInf)
MPI of Chemical Ecology, Carl-Zeiss-Promenade 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

What is man but that lofty spirit - that sense of enterprise.
... Kirk, "I, Mudd," stardate 4513.3..