Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: The DocBook Affair - Part 2

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 02:20:44PM -0700, papowell@astart.com wrote:
> Ummm.... uhh...  No 'Guide for the Bewildered' here.  I look up
> JadeTex on AltaVista,  hit the Tex Users Group (TUG) reference,
> and go to the site.   Find stuff,  but no reference to the
> documentation.  No 'internals'.  I did find
>
> 1999-12-17  Sebastian Rahtz  <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
>         RELEASE 2.10
>         * jadetex.dtx: used u*sty instead of u*tex
>         * note dependence on PassiveTeX package
>
> Strange...  this appears to be OLDER than the release used by the
> FreeBSD folks.
>
> Question 1:
>
>    Is/where there any documentation on the JadeTex macros available
>    on line?

Good question.  Not sure -- I'm not a TeX hacker, so have never gone looking
for them myself.  I suspect (BICBW) that most of it's in Sebastien's head.

>    Where are the latest versions?

http://www.tug.org/applications/jadetex/

[ Snip a TeX question that I can't answer. ]

> So I looked up 'Edition' in 'DocBook - The Definitive Guide (to Losing Hair)'
> and found there was an 'Edition' thingy...
>
> So I used <edition>2nd Edition</edition>

Covered in an earlier message.

> Question 5:  What is OpenJade and what is the relationship
>    of Jade and OpenJade?

James Clark stopped maintaining Jade.  OpenJade is the Jade codebase as and
when James stopped working on it, but updated and extended with new features,
and implementing more of the DSSSL specification.

We don't use it on the FreeBSD Doc. Project yet because, AIUI, there are
some issues with using OpenJade on foreign language (specifically, Japanese)
text.  Since we have a significant body of documentation in Japanese this is
a PITA.

If you don't have that concern then OpenJade has more features and is being
actively maintained.

> Question 6: is the site http://peano.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de DOA or
>    is it just temporary?

Pass.