Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Problem converting DB to PDF...

Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Any pointers to SYSV make?

There's an O'Reilly book -- other than that, the GNU Make info pages
have a section on differences with SYSV make.

> > OTOH, if we went with a
> > makefile-maker system like preheat uses, I could see us being able to
> > support either SYSV or BSD make without too much problems.
>
> Could do.  I don't have sufficient free time to look at preheat if it's
> completely undocumented.  But if you've got docs that can get me started
> then I'll give it a go ASAP.

Heh.  Well, maybe you should hold out for a bit.  It's pretty much
undocumented at the moment.  There is some inline documentation but I
need to make separate documents for the SGML editor stuff and the
preheat file format.

> > Even if we can't, I would like to be sure that we are at least
> > consistent between each other in the jade -V and -i switches that we
> > pass to indicate the output format.
>
> Absolutely.

Do you think I should just adapt the *BSD ones?  It seems like you
have a wider install base than I do ... :)

> The problem was, while I could pass command line flags to the PNG -> EPS
> conversion process to double the density (and thereby halve the image
> size), this doesn't work for the PDF stuff, because the PDF and HTML
> formats share the same image file.  Either I shrink the PDF file (and
> then the HTML output looks wrong), or I had to find a way to get DocBook
> / TeX to scale the image for me -- preferably without forcing the author
> to write " ... scale='50' ... " for every single image.

I would use two different suffixes, say, .halfsize.eps versus .eps I
would guess?

> > > Then redefine the Graphic handling in the stylesheet, like so;
> > >
> > >     (define ($graphic$ fileref
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > See, in preheat I can't do things like this since I can't rely on
> > specific DSSSL customizations.
>
> preheat has to be able to point to a DSSSL stylesheet though, right?

Right.

> As it stands, if you process the FreeBSD docs through Norm's stylesheets
> they come out OK.  Some of the images will be too big, and a few other
> bits and pieces will be off, but it works.

Yah, that's pretty good.

I have onShore Development specific customizations to deal with.

If we can standarize the <stylesheet>#foo and -ifoo and -Vfoo (and I
even use a little -Vfoo=bar but that's openjade and docbook only, for
forcing the suffix to be .html and such, there's always another way to
do it), that would be excellent.