Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Cross references

I know its confused me, and today I saw others that
apparently expect more from <link> than the stylesheets
provide.

My general requirement, when producing html, is to have
a hot link from the link content through to the idvalue
shown in linkend attribute.

E.g. <link linkend="idn">Hot content </link> linking through
to whatever element has the corresponding 'idn' value as
its id attribute.

<example id="idn">This, to me, is a valid target, as might
be a <para>, section, or <head> element.

Am I in a minority with this one or would others like it
extended.
AFAIK, the only valid targets for linkend are 'major'
wrapper elements, such as <sect1 <section etc.

The definitive guide is silent as to what are valid targets.

Regards DaveP