Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: pdf page not printable

Christian-san wrote:

> a page that includes a (certain) table cannon be printed.
> This table includes only images.
>
> I've create this document in DocBook XML 5.0 beta.
> Xalan to translate it into FO (DocBook XSL Stylesheets
> v. 1.44).
> To convert FO to PDF i use FOP (0.20.2 )

From our off list discussion on "fo to pdf" to get your tables working, I was
under the impression that you were using MS Windows.  Is this the case?  And
if so, are you trying to print from Acrobat Reader 4.0 or above?

I ask because I've been having trouble printing documents generated with FOP
0.20.1 on FreeBSD, whereas FOP 1.17.0 generated documents printed fine.  The
major difference in the outputed PDF appears to be that the text is no
streams rather than blocks of text.  I wonder if the way it handles images
has changed has well.

Acroread4 on FreeBSD works fine for viewing, but passing it off to
Ghostscript to print fails.

On the Japanese FOP discussion list, I was told by one person that one can
print on Windows using the AFPL GhostScript 7.00's GSView 4.0 (available at
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/get700.htm ).  I installied AFPL
GhostScript 7.00 on FreeBSD, however, pdf2ps still failed.  GhostScript 5.50
fails on FreeBSD and Soloaris for printing Japanese documents generated with
FOP 0.20.0.

I'm seriously considering going back to FOP 0.17.0 (actually JP-FOP
0.17.0_01) as printing seems to have been broken on UNIX.  (But I do have
reports that printing worked fine on the Japanese version of Acrobat Reader
4.0 on Windows.)

I'd be very much interested to hear from other UNIX users on the printability
of FOP 0.20.x documents.  I was under the impression that it was just a
problem with i18nized documents, but now I'm not so sure.  I'll have to give
it a try without images, now.

> Is there a way arround this problem,
> or does anybody know what causes it (to fix the bug).

The FOP Bugzilla was off-line when I looked into this.  Perhaps it's time to
check again.

--
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/