Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: xep 2.7 is having trouble with docbook FO output

At 7:14 AM -0500 11/9/01, Norman Walsh wrote:
>/ Ed Nixon <ed.nixon@LynnParkPlace.org> was heard to say:
>| I'm experimenting with version 2.7 of XEP on vanilla FO output from
>| docbook-xsl-1.45 and 1.46-experimental.
>|
>| XEP is having trouble, generating multiple instances of the following error:
>|
>| "Attribute 'master-reference' is required and must be specified for
>| element type 'fo:conditional-page-master-reference'"
>|
>| I'm not up on the recommendation so I don't know if and/or whose bug
>| this might be.
>
>It's a stylesheet bug. The master-name attribute on
>conditional-page-master-reference
>was renamed 'master-reference' sometime shortly before the REC was published.
>Fixed (or will be soon) in CVS.

FYI, FOP 0.20.2 does not yet handle master-reference but expects
master-name, and my guess is that this is unlikely to be fixed
anytime soon since FOP is currently undergoing a major redesign. If
the Docbook XSL stylesheets are brought up-to-date with the XSL 1.0
spec, we can expect a large batch of e-mail about why they don't
work, even though it's really FOP that's wrong.

I wonder if it's possible to detect from within the stylesheets
whether or not FOP is being used and if so generate some sort of
error to warn people of the problem? Off the top of my head, I can't
really think of one.

At a minimum, the name of the master-name/master-reference attribute
should be parameterized so we can set it differently depending on
whether fop.extensions is set.