Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Showing images in XMetal

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 08:42:04AM +0000, Ian Mayo wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've been DocBooking in emacs (PSGML) for a couple of years now, but have
> kept having trouble navigating through documents - especially finding it
> difficult to find particular sections, etc.
>
> I've now had a couple of weeks experimenting with XMetal, and find the
> document preview mode great.  No, I'm not getting bogged down in document
> formatting instead of content, but it does make it really easy to move
> around the document - with chapter, sect1 and sect2 all formatted
> differently, plus formatted tables.
>
> My existing DocBook documents have all used the MediaObject - so that I can
> specify the alternate phrase to show.  But, XMetal 2.1 only shows the actual
> image when using a <graphic> inside a <figure>,  not when a <mediaobject> is
> shown.
>
> Can anybody give me tell me if it is possible for XMetal to show images
> contained in mediaobjects as well as when they're contained in <graphic>s?

Yes it is possible, this is a customization option.
Position your cursor inside an <imagedata> inside
your <mediaobject>, for example, and select:

Tools -> Customizations

Select the 'Treat As' tab, and select the Image radio
button.
Set 'Source:' to 'fileref' if that is what you use
to address your graphics.
Then the graphic should show in XMetal.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com