Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: On creating PDF bookmarks

Jens Stavnstrup wrote:

> When creating FO files with the bookmarks function enabled. Everything
> appears to work after transforming the fo files to pdf with FP 0.20.3
>
> But, for some strange reasons all bookmarks to chapters/appendixes does
> not work, allthough bookmarks to sections works just fine. I also

> transformed the relevant example from the FOP 0.20.3 source distribution,
> where everythings work just fine.
>
> Comparing the fo file from my document with the fop example, I do not find
> any significant difference (except for for some extra blank lines in the
> fo example), and therefore suspect this to be a bug in FOP.

I have had the same question and took a deeper look into the generated
fo files. Docbook stylesheets assign the IDs (that are referenced
by the outline and the toc) for chapters etc. to the fo:page-sequence
element. But FOP does support some functionality (fox:outline,
fo:basic-link?, fo:page-number-citation) only for referenced fo:block
elements.

There are two possible solutions:
1. change/customize the stylesheets (assign id's only to fo:block),
2. patch/extend FOP.

I have done 1. as an example for the chapter element. Changes
would appear in fo/component.xsl (in the template that matches
chapter) and in fo/titlepage.templates.xsl (I know this file is
generated. For a clean solution template/titlepage.xsl have to be
changed. Possible? Is it worth a test?).
(Changes are documented at the end of this mail.)

My questions are now:
- What would be the right way: change docbook stylesheets or FOP?
- What say the xsl-fo specs (I know: RTFSpec :-). Maybe
someone else has done this before and can answer.)
- If we/I would customize the stylesheets, would this
cause side effects?

See above

> Does anybody have any similar experience with this ?

Yes

TIA and HTH, Sven.

----------------------------------
PS.: The changes

component.xls (line 201):
change <fo:page-sequence id="{$id}"
to <fo:page-sequence

titlepage.templates.xsl template "chapter.titlepage" (line 1161)
would look like this:
<xsl:template name="chapter.titlepage">
  <xsl:variable name="id">
    <xsl:call-template name="object.id"/>