Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: FYI - Slides online for a talk I gave on DocBook XML

FYI, I've been rather quiet on these lists in the last few months
as I moved out of documentation and into product management at the
beginning of 2002.  I'm still working with DocBook a good bit, but
just using existing systems and no longer pushing the edge on what
it can do (i.e. trying to tame PDF formatting with FO).  And my time
to participate in lists of all types has been unfortunately reduced.

Anyway, back in November I gave a talk about DocBook XML to the XML
Users Group of Ottawa (XUGO - http://www.xugo.org/ ) and finally got
around to putting my slides up on the web last weekend. They are at:

  http://www.lodestar2.com/people/dyork/talks/docbook/

On the title page, there are links to the frames and non-frames
version and, of course, the DocBook XML source file (using Norm's
Slides doctype).

The talk was called "Chasing Documentation's Holy Grail: Toward
Single-Source Publishing With DocBook XML" and really focused on
introducing DocBook and some of the tools associated with using it.
The XUGO evening went well with something like 50 people or so there and
lots of questions and interest.  A number of companies (Corel was one)
came up later saying that they were strongly exploring moving their
documention to DocBook.  I have subsequently re-used the presentation
for a number of smaller presos, including a couple inside our company.

Anyway, the preso is out there... help yourself.  If anyone finds
any glaring errors or omissions, please do let me know, too, as I
may do more like this in the future.

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan York, Product Line Manager, SME Server and ServiceLink
Mitel Networks Corporation                 dan_york@mitel.com