Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: DocBook XSL slow to process due to l10n.xml, keys

Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Mike Brown <mike@skew.org> was heard to say:
> | In 4XSLT, the preparation of the indices for these keys takes a very long time
> | because they are computed for every source document, including those obtained
> | via document(). It takes a long time to generate the indices for l10n.xml,
> | even though these keys don't end up being needed for any but the main source
> | tree.
>
> Perhaps 4XSLT should be modified to do lazy index generation?

That was my suggestion when I filed the bug report on 4Suite's SourceForge
project.

But, in my opinion, failing to be lazy about xsl:key index preparation is not
really a shortcoming in a processor. The XSLT spec is at fault for not
providing a way to specify to which documents keys should apply. A stylesheet
could potentially use a key on any of the source trees provided.

With this being the case, one could just as easily suggest that DocBook XSL
should be modified to make lazy index generation less of a requirement for the
processor that's handlingit. If you only need to use one locale (or
localization language or whatever) at a time, then it seems that you could use
some clever xsl:importing or document() calls to include wrappers for only the
subset of l10n entities that you need.

   - Mike
  mike j. brown                   |  xml/xslt: http://skew.org/xml/
  denver/boulder, colorado, usa   |  resume: http://skew.org/~mike/resume/