Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Website

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 05:15:17PM -0500, Dennis Grace wrote:

> Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I'm not finding much on how to
> use the Website 2.0. Any suggestions for a starting point?

The basic nuts 'n bolts are:

1. Decide on the basic architecture of your site, and express that in
   terms of a 'layout.xml' file. This file will have a declaration
   something like this:

<!DOCTYPE layout SYSTEM "/usr/share/sgml/docbook/custom/website/2.0b1/layout.dtd">

2. You need to provide an empty depends file, so do something like:
   $touch depends.tabular

3. Write the xml for each page. The declaration will look something
   like this:

<!DOCTYPE webpage SYSTEM "/usr/share/sgml/docbook/custom/website/2.0b1/website.dtd" []>

4. Now the tricky stuff. Look carefully at Norm's make mojo, and tweak
it if need be for your own installation. At this point you will
eventually do a "make depends". This will write the actual
'depends.tabular' (or whatever you call it), and an 'autolayout.xml'
file. Then a 'make' will generate your html files.

Your basic toolchain must be in order, i.e stylesheets,
saxon/xt/whutever. I found the makefile the hard part.

But that's the order of battle at any rate. Be patient and give it
some time...

--
Bob Bernstein