Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: SGML vs XML

I have decided to opt for XML DocBook for many of the reasons outlined in
everyones
I have already
written it ;) ).

Most of the XML tools are written in Java, most students learn Java  (at the
moment anyway)
as their first year language and it is used extensively in many CS courses,
hence the Java hacker
can have a ball. (just a thought)

Observation about portability:   I do not think that the Java tools are
really any more portable
because most systems have a C/C++ compiler so could compile the C/C++ based
tools, maybe
the out-of-the-box compatability would be a be better with the Java tools
however.  Java
is however inherently more secure than C  by design (but this isn't a Java
vs C post so I will stop this now).

Anyway, thanks again for all the support from everyone.

AM