Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Missing CDATA sections

/ fyl2xp1 <vnhu38f93@subdimension.com> was heard to say:
| If I process this file:
|
| <?xml version="1.0"?>
| <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN" "c:/docbook/docbkx412/docbookx.dtd">
| <article>
|   <sect1><title>Error Prone</title>
| <![CDATA[
| Im going to dissapear!
| ]]>
|   <para>
|     Yes that's right ladies and gentlemen, CDATA is gone!
|   </para>
|   </sect1>
| </article>
|
|  with /docbook-xsl-1.52.2/profiling/profile.xsl using xsltproc
| it generates
|
| <?xml version="1.0"?>
| <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN" "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.0/docbookx.dtd";>
| <article>
|   <sect1><title>Error Prone</title>
|
| Im going to dissapear!
|
|   <para>
|     Yes that's right ladies and gentlemen, CDATA is gone!
|   </para>
|   </sect1>
| </article>
|
| which is not even valid XML, why is CDATA going missing, is this an xsltproc or
| style-sheet issue?

Uhm, it wasn't valid with the CDATA section marker either, so I'm confused.

<![CDATA[ is effectively a typing shortcut for character escaping. It
has *no* semantic meaning. It isn't even preserved in the XML infoset.

<![CDATA[<]]> and &lt; are semantically *identical*.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | If we could read the secret