Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: xref style proposal

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 09:15:23AM -0500, Jeff Beal wrote:
> This looks like a fabulous idea.  Have you given any thought to using a
> template attribute instead of the select attribute where the author
> specifies, instead of a pre-defined name, the exact contents of what would
> come out of the gentext template?  For example, instead of <xref
> select="title"/>, I could put <xref template="%t"/>?  This would give even
> more flexibility to the author, and would also remove a level of indirection
> (possible performance increase?).

This would certainly be an easy and convenient addition.
I personally think it is a little unusual to insert syntax
that is specific to Norm's stylesheets into your document.
I like to think that the document content is independent
of the stylesheet.  But in reality, Norm's are the
only complete XSL stylesheets for DocBook (aren't they?).
And '%t' is just a shorthand for 'title', so as long as
it is documented I think it should be permitted.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com