Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] How to specify out resolution for FO

On Sunday 01 February 2004 00:12, Bob Stayton wrote:
> [...]

The reason for these questions.

In my experience, it is always easier to prepare production files in such a
way that they are optimized for the equipment of the print shop doing your
production. It saves lots of time, both sides, and increases the chances of
getting production to the state of being a "repeatable process". This state
is often found in organizations that apply engineering processes to their
production.

When files are not optimized, any number of tweaks may be required during
production, theses steps may be forgotten during future print runs. The
result being inconsistent quality.

So, as far as I can see, providing you have Acrobat Distiller, the route to
obtaining PDF with a higher resolution should be something like this:

XML > XSL-FO > PS > [ACROBAT DISTILLER]> PDF

This complicates the pre-press production stages and relies on one more tool
in the tool-chain. In my mind, the Adobe suite of products for PDF creation
are brilliant and well worth the money, so people like myself don't have any
problem investing in them. However, this is not always the case for every
person.

That said I get to the next question. How does one produce a PS that is
created with the ppd's of a specific printer?

The "use case" would be to input the PS that has been created with the
following route above, into the Acrobat Distiller so that I output a PDF that
is both a higher resolution and is optimized for a specific printer.

As Bob and David have pointed out, resolution is outside the XSL-FO spec. So
how do we get resolution into our PS files? I think we're back to square one.

Which highlights a very disconcerting point. When it comes to professional
level production, XML processing technologies and standards are still
deficient. Is this an oversight that may become the Achilles heal of XML in
environments that need professional print production?

--
Sean Wheller