Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Chapter Title Customizations and Spacing

> My second wish is to be able to implement something like tabstops in a
> word processor with respect to labeling titles.  For instance:
>
>     1.  Title 1
>     2.  Title 2
>     10. Title 3
>
> So there would be a tab stop after the label (in this case, the
> numbering) at the 'T' in "Title" for each element.  I thought this kind
> of functionality might be implemented by a fo:leader, but I'm not
> certain.  Could any FO experts toss me a clue?

It can be done with leaders but would rely on a hack using use-content
for leader pattern (the leader will hold the Title's label, not go after
it); it is probably not what you want if you want compability among
procesors, or predictability at least.

Another approach would be to use a list for each title; it is the simplest
way to display two inlines aligned vertically with fixed horizontal offsets.

<list-block>
  <list-item
      provisional-label-separation="1em"
      provisional-distance-between-starts="8em">
    <list-item-label end-indent="label-end()">
      <para>1.</para>
    </list-item-label>
    <list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
      <para>Title 1</para>
    </list-item-body>
  </list-item>
</list-block>

I hope I haven't made too much typing errors in the code.

David Tolpin
http://davidashen.net/