Subject: reference man pages as both seperate files + linked into one document

I'm trying to create a number of reference (UNIX) man pages for seperate
commands.  I need to have these each be a standalone document so I can create
UNIX *roff man page files (using docbook2X), but also I need to create a single
master "Reference Guide" which includes all of the otherwise standalone
reference docs.  What's the best way of doing this?

I've tried having a master reference guide doc like this:

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [
<!ENTITY mc "<trademark>MagniComp</trademark>">
<!ENTITY si "<trademark>SysInfo</trademark>">
<!ENTITY mcsysinfohcf SYSTEM "mcsysinfohcf.sgm">
]>

<!-- $Revision$ -->

<book>
   <bookinfo>
   </bookinfo>

   <reference>
     <title>Reference Pages</title>

   &mcsysinfohcf;

   </reference>
</book>

and each man/reference doc like this:

<!-- $Revision$ -->

   <refentry id="mcsysinfohcf">
   </refentry>

I have no problem generating the master document using the first file above via
docbook2html, but when I using docbook2X to create the standalone man file for
the above "refentry" it complains, of course, that there's no

prolog can't be omitted unless CONCUR NO and LINK EXPLICIT NO and either
IMPLYDEF ELEMENT YES or IMPLYDEF DOCTYPE YES

If I put in a standard <!DOCTYPE> prolog to the man/reference doc, then I have
problems with the parser blowing up when generating the master reference guide.

Any help would be most appreciated.

	mike