Subject: Automatic curly single quotes

Hi all!

I found myself in need of placing the stylish curly single quote instead
of the plain apostrophe between words (e.g. there's, I'll, and so on)
while producing PDF output from my DocBook files. On the other hand, I
did not want to directly type the Unicode entity (i.e. ’) in the
DocBook sources, because of speed (it's just much quicker to put in the
apostrophe while typing) and readability (I don't want my source files
cluttered with strange entity codes in sentences) issues.

So, I came up with my personal solution. Since I'm using Ant to build
PDF output from DocBook sources, I decided to put in an additional step
in the build process which consists in substituting apostrophes between
words with single curly quotes through a regular expression by means of
the <replaceregexp> optional Ant task.

It seems to work well, but I'm just curious, wondering if anyone on the
list have ever had this kind of problem, and what solution he or she
came up with. Maybe there are more flexible and unobtrusive ideas I
didn't think of. Would you mind to share your solutions?

Best Regards,
Giulio Piancastelli.