Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Xalan, document(), and chunker.output.intent [WAS: base.dir param...]

Larry Garfield <larry@garfieldtech.com> writes:

[...]

> As for Saxon, ugh. :-)  I hate switching packages around, mostly because
> Java packages are such a pain to setup in my experience. [...]

You're running Debian, right? Or some Debian-based system. If so,
there only setup you need to do to use Saxon is to apt-get it:

  apt-get install libsaxon-java

The info on using it is all in Bob's book.

Yeah, I guess there is the fact that you do also need to tell java
where it is, by putting it into your CLASSPATH or whatever. But
that doesn't seem to me like such a big pain. A lot of people just
create a script to use it -

  #!/bin/sh

  SAXON=/usr/share/java/saxon.jar
  DOCBOOKXSL=/usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh

  java -cp $SAXON:$CLASSPATH \
    com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet $1 $DOCBOOKXSL/$2

Call it "saxon" or whatever and put it in your path. Then you can
process DocBook docs with it just by doing, for example:

  saxon foo.xml xhtml/chunk.xsl
  saxon foo.xml fo/docbook.xsl
  saxon foo.xml manpages/docbook.xsl

IMHO, you're better off using Saxon than Xalan2. There are
definitely no known issues with using Saxon to process DocBook.
I'm not sure that the same is true about Xalan2. There have been
some Xalan2 bugs in the past that have caused problems when using
it with DocBook. I'm not sure if those have all been resolved or
not. And if they're still doing releases of it, any new releases
have the potential to introduce a new bug. Saxon 6.5.3 is stable
and bug free and has everything you need as far as a Java-based
XSLT engine for DocBook processing goes.

  --Mike

--
Michael Smith
http://logopoeia.com/  http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/890