Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Collecting glossentries in glossary database

David Cramer (Tech Pubs) wrote:

>The downsides of using linkends and ids are:
>
>1) You must include the glossary in the doc so that it will validate (or
>modify the DTD so it won't consider linkends on glossterms IDREFs).

Yes, you are right. But maybe a (pre)process similar to target-db
generation for olinking could solve this.

>2) It's extra work for the writer to add the linkend to every glossterm,
>and

Debugging the document because you misspelled the glossterm is also
extra work ;-)

>3) If you're editor helps you out by populating other IDREF attributes
>with all the IDs in the doc, all the glossentry ids will clutter that
>list of candidate IDs (which would otherwise consist mostly of chapter
>and sections).

I have >500 Ids in my documentation of a software module (1 out of 7).
If one uses prefixes consequently for every sort of id, finding the
right id isn't that difficult anymore. But a lot of discipline is needed
if you work in multi-author environment. My editor sorts the id's and is
able to filter the prefix "glo-" when I'm using linkend in the context
of glossterm.

>We do use linkends and ids and some glossary generation xslts of our own
>that predate the ones in the stock xsls. We have a system that actually
>modifies the DTD so that the linkend attribute on glossterm is an
>enumeration of all the ids in our master glossary (i.e. that bit of the
>dtd is dynamically generated). That solves #1 and #2. #3 we solve by
>customizing the editor. It all ends up working, but took effort to set
>up.

Modifying the DTD isn't very straight forward and doesn't solve the
problem of the ambiguity with acronyms described in my 2nd mail :-(.

Perhaps I'll try to figure out a small stylesheet for collecting the
effectively used glossterms. A copy process on the glossary database,
that kicks out all glossentries, that weren't referenced - shouldn't be
that difficult.

BTW, a small script, that sorts the glossentries in a glossary
(respecting glossdiv,...), would be welcome as well, or I have to write
it myself.

Georges

>David

--------------------------------------