Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Formatting question.

<literallayout> is a block of text in which line breaks and other white
space are expected to be preserved in the rendered output.

The semantics for all Docbook elements are described here:
DocBook v4: http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html
DocBook v5: http://docbook.org/tdg5/en/html

> <para>
>    Sometimes when you are working at a computer, things will
>    go sorta like the following. You type in something:
>    <literallayout class="normal">
>       <userinput>
>         <command>tail</command>
>         <option>-f</option>
>         <filename>mta.log</filename>
>       </userinput>
>    </literallayout>
>    And then the computer outputs something like:
>    <literallayout class="normal">
>      <computeroutput>stuff here then more stuff here and further
>      stuff here</computeroutput>
>    </literallayout>
> </para>

[...]

> That doesn't look right. I would have expected 'tail -f
> mta.log' to be inline for example.

If you remove the <literallayout> wrappers around <userinput> and
<computeroutput>, you'll notice the difference in the output.

/MJ