Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Initial page numbering for book chapter?

Michèle Garoche wrote:
> Replying to myself, not sure though if there is not a better way to do
> this.

I think maybe there is a slightly better (read: more general) way. I
will leave it to the stylesheet authors to correct me if I am wrong :-)

I have experienced the exact same behavior, and found out that it
happens when you have a preface in your book. If you don't have a
preface, it works fine. The error is caused by what I think is a bug in
the selection of first.book.content.

If you have a preface, then first.book.content will be a node set
containing the preface. For the first chapter, this will invoke the
default case of the <xsl:choose>, causing the first chapter to be
numbered by the "auto-odd" rule and continue where the preface left off.

The comment describing first.book.content states that it should "Select
the first content that the stylesheet places after the TOC". As I read
the code, it really should "Select the first content that the stylesheet
places after the TOC, THAT IS NOT HANDLED SEPARATELY BELOW".

Thus, if you add "self::preface or" to the list of tests in the "not"
part of the select attribute, everything works as expected, I believe.

To be concrete: Customize initial.page.number such that the definition
of first.book.content looks like this (without the note, of course :-)):

<xsl:variable name="first.book.content"
               select="ancestor::book/*[
                       not(self::title or
                           self::subtitle or
                           self::titleabbrev or
                           self::bookinfo or
                           self::info or
                           self::dedication or
                           self::toc or
                           self::preface or <-------- ADDED
                           self::lot)][1]"/>

I hope the above makes sense. If not, don't hesitate to let me know, and
I will try to be clearer. English is not my native language :-D

Best regards,

	Rune Lausen