Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Generating HTML from docbook in autotools project

On Wed, Apr 11 2007 07:08:01 +0100, Brendon Costa wrote:
> I have a project that uses autotools (autoconf, automake and libtool).
> I have been writing the manual for the project in docbook XML format
> instead of tex. What is a common method for generating HTML (single
> and multiple page) documentation from a docbook file within this
> environment?

I would suggest looking at gtk-doc.

On Ubuntu, it's packaged as gtk-doc-tools, with dependencies on
DocBook, xsltproc, Jade, etc., so you can do a one-step install of the
whole tool set.  It's probably the same on other platforms.

gtk-doc can extract structured comments from your source code and you
can write chapters in DocBook as well.

There's numerous projects that include gtk-doc in their configure
scripts and Makefiles.  I use it for xmlroff (http://xmlroff.org/),
but I haven't changed anything about it in configure.in since gtk-doc
0.10 was new (it's now at 1.7), so there may be newer features or
macros available that xmlroff is not using (and not missing).

Regards,

Tony Graham.
Tony.Graham@MenteithConsulting.com   http://www.menteithconsulting.com

Menteith Consulting Ltd             Registered in Ireland - No. 428599