Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] icon for chapter number on the edge of page

In the message you sent to docbook-apps on 15 October, you explain how you
have failed in using floating sidebars to display a chapter number icon in
the margin (at the outside edge).

It is possible that a solution involving floats could work. In fact, it's
the only mechanism available for placing content on the "outside" of left
and right pages. However, it seems a bit awkward to use <sidebar> in the
source document in order to output the floats; it would be more appropriate
to let a customized stylesheet handle that.

But first you need to make sure that your FO processor supports floats. I
presume that you use FOP (from the message you sent on 1 October), which
means that you are out of luck. FOP does not support floats. See
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html#fo-object-float.

So if you can, try another FO processor. XEP is a good choice.

Mauritz