Subject: Docbook, editors, and EBNF

Hi, I'm looking into Docbook and EBNF (Extended Backus-Naur Form, a formal notation for defining syntax).

We are using EBNF for documenting syntax for JSON queries. We see the Docbook support for EBNF on the site ("The EBNF elements are part of the standard DocBook V5.0 distribution"), but the question has more to do with how well Docbook output for EBNF is supported by available XML editors -- including emphasis, white space, ensuring EBNF isn't mangled, etc.

Questions:

Are any of you successfully producing EBNF notation in Docbook documents? (Producing Docbook 4.* or Docbook 5?)  Examples would be most appreciated.

What editor(s) are you using?