Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Chunked HTML and Footnote Numbering

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 8:03 AM, DavePawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris Yocum wrote:
>>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>     I have written up a customization layer for Chunked HTML and MHRA
>> footnote/bibliography style.  Works very well actually.  However, I
>> noticed that the footnote numbers are not restarted for each chapter
>> (or in the case that I noticed, the chapter which is in <d:chapter>
>> tags and the introduction which is in <d:preface> tags).  It's not a
>> huge problem but I just wanted to know if there was some parameter
>> that I was missing in my customization layer or if this was actually
>> an issue.
>

> Not that I could find Chris.
>
> It's the 'from '  attribute of xsl:number
> Instead of 'book' it needs to be set to chapter.
>

> I'd suggest looking at footnote.xsl... although that isn't
> very straightforward.
>
> <xsl:template match="d:footnote" mode="footnote.number">
> looks to be a good place to start though
>
>   <xsl:otherwise>
>      <xsl:variable name="pfoot"
> select="preceding::d:footnote[not(@label)]"/>
>      <xsl:variable name="ptfoot" select="preceding::d:tgroup//d:footnote"/>
>      <xsl:variable name="fnum" select="count($pfoot) - count($ptfoot) + 1"/>
>
>      <xsl:choose>
>        <xsl:when test="string-length($footnote.number.symbols) &gt;= $fnum">
>          <xsl:value-of select="substring($footnote.number.symbols, $fnum,
> 1)"/>
>        </xsl:when>
>        <xsl:otherwise>
>          <xsl:number value="$fnum" format="{$footnote.number.format}"/>
>        </xsl:otherwise>
>      </xsl:choose>
>    </xsl:otherwise>
>
> Assuming you're not using @label...

No, numbers will do fine.

> Its the variable pfoot that contains the number (easy to test).
>
> As is done here, you'd need to exclude the table based ones.
> (untested)
>
>  <xsl:variable name="pfoot"
> select="ancestor::d:chapter//d:footnote[not(@label)]"/>
>
> Ditto with ptfoot.

I might be a bit thick this afternoon but do I need to essentially
rewrite this whole thing for this to work or just drop in the
xsl:variable that you listed above?  If I have to rewrite this whole
thing, I think it might be easier if I make a request for the footnote
numbers to be change from book to chapter for the html and xhtml chunk
styles.  This will make it much easier for books with many
footnotes/citations (like Humanities texts) to use Docbook html
output.

Thanks for your help!

Chris