Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Always proportionally scale imagedata to page.

Hi David,
I think I understand what you want, but I need one clarification.  This
combination:

> scalefit="1"
> width="100%"
> contentdepth="100%"

does not have the effect that you want.  With contentdepth="100%", the image
will be its intrinsic height. The other two attributes kick in only if the
intrinsic width is too big to fit the available width, in which case the
image will be proportionally scaled down to fit the 100% viewport width.
That doesn't match your desire to maximize the size.

I think you intended:

scalefit="1"
width="100%"
depth="100%"

This sets the viewport to the maximum available size, and scales up the
image until it bumps into one of the edges of the viewport.

But I'm not clear what you mean by the "largest size on the page". Does that
mean for an image which is taller than it is wide, that it should scale to
fit the remaining vertical space on the page (which might be quite small)?
Or perhaps the largest size on a new page (which may require a forced page
break to get the largest vertical space available)?

Regarding the customization process, you pretty much have to customize the
process.image template.  This requires understanding the sequence of how the
DocBook scaling attributes are massaged into the FO scaling attributes. Some
attributes take precedence over others, so they interact a bit and it gets a
little complicated.

Being able to specify default values for some of the attributes would be a
nice feature request.

If you can add a preprocessing XSLT step, you could process with an identity
stylesheet that just adds the attributes you want to imagedata (with logic
to add them only if no overrides present).  Then you don't have to mess with
process.image.