Subject: Suggestions for redacting elements?

I would like to be able to mark certain elements for redaction and
then have those elements specially handled during the transformation.

For example, given the following...

         <mediaobject>
             <imageobject>
                 <imagedata scalefit="1" fileref="./figures/
Shield.gif" scale="100"/>
             </imageobject>
         </mediaobject>

...or...

	<para>Blah, blah, blah</para>

I would like to mark the mediaobject and paragraph for optional
redaction, such that if a variable (redact=1) is passed to the
transformation, the elements marked for redaction are replaced with
text like "REDACTED".

It looks like this might be similar to paragraph numbering as
documented in Bob's book, but wondered if anyone has already done this
and might want to post their solution.

-David