Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Auto numbering Tips

Hi,
Generally it is a good idea when customizing to see how an element is
already handled by the stylesheet, and then modify that behavior.  Simply
adding a template that matches on an element may not integrate it into the
other templates in the stylesheet.

In this case, a tip/title is not handled in normal mode (that is, a template
with no mode attribute), but in mode="object.title.markup".  That's because
title is optional, and so a template with that match will not be triggered
for tip without title, and there will be no generated "Tip" label.  Instead,
the template processing tip does:

  <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="object.title.markup"/>

This is applied to the current tip element, and that mode handles either the
title child element or generates the "Tip:" text in the appropriate
language.  So your template could be instead:

<xsl:template match="tip" mode="object.title.markup">
  <xsl:text>Tip-</xsl:text>
   <xsl:variable name="tipnr">
    <xsl:number count="tip" level="any"/>
   </xsl:variable>
  <xsl:number value="$tipnr+-1" format="01"/>
</xsl:template>

Not sure why you want to start counting from "00", though.