Subject: Unicode check mark missing in XSL-FO PDF output

Trying to use the unicode check mark symbol (✓ Hex2713) from isopub.ent, but end up with a blank square in the PDF.

I use oXygen 11 (saxon 6.5.5 and FOP) and DocBook 5 with the 1.75.2 stylesheets.The body-font-family is Verdana, the symbol-font-family is the stylesheet default.

The problem is not the entity files, oXygen resolves the entity and displays the check mark correctly on screen.
I've tried to wrap the entity in a fo-inline by the suggested template customization for FOP. This does not work for me.

I guess it is either FOP or Acrobat that is messing up, but how do I find out which one, and how do I solve it?